Well it’s particularly true in business. Your lack of clarity around your vision or what success looks like for you could mean make or break for your business.
When potential customers, staff, investors and peers ask you about your business you need to be able to paint a picture of where you are at and where you are going. So ask yourself “what does success look like for me?”
You may have a business plan, but this is different. This is the dream, the potential, the aspiration, the ideal. This will inspire others and yourself. It will help to make your dream a reality. Success for you should be a holistic picture of work and life. If you don’t know what success looks like, you could end up:-
- Taking on many projects unclear why because you are not sure what you are trying to achieve
- Losing customers because they are not sure what you do or what you stand for
- Losing faith in your business because you are not able to measure your progress
- Not getting the balance of life and work priorities right
So here’s my advice:
1. Take a step back from your current reality and dare to dream, ask you yourself “If I knew that I couldn’t fail what would I be doing?”
2. Paint the picture of success in your mind vividly –
· What would it look like?
· What would people be saying about you?
· How would you be feeling?
· What would be different?
· What would you be doing?
· What would a typical day look like?
When you have painted this picture. Get to its core – What makes it a success, is it:
- What you do?
- How you do it?
- Your passion for it?
- The change it creates?
- Something else?
Know that this information is the key to your success and what others will tap into who buy your products or services. It makes your business personal.
Remember as James whistler said: - “An artist is not paid for his labor, but his vision”
So dream big, in glorious colour and in High Definition, share it to make your success a reality.
Learn more from Jennifer Garrett and follow her at @JenniferGarrett