BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Spiritual Coach" Lakara Foster

Lakara Foster, M.Ed. is the President of She Speaks Inc., an Atlanta-based firm that provides workshops and coaching focused on women's empowerment. She was nominated Author of the Year for her book *The Grown Woman's Guide to Greatness*. She has been featured on several television shows including The Oprah Winfrey Show and VH1's Atlanta Exes.

The BOSS Network: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Lakara Foster: The biggest obstacle I had to overcome at the beginning of my business was mastering time management, becoming more fiscally responsible, and learning to trust my instinct.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

LK: In 2012 I was laid off from my job as a school counselor due to budget cuts
in the city's school system. It was during this time that I discovered my
calling as a spiritual life coach, author, and speaker whose mission in
life is to empower women into greatness. Many times as women we live our
lives for others and seldom get to fully experience life on our own terms
and doing what God designed us to do. Getting laid-off allowed me a chance
to breathe and to see the world through new lenses. I relied on my

God-given gifts to create income which in turn allowed me to live a more
authentic life, get in touch with my spirituality, and experience a freedom
I never knew existed.  I knew the best and maybe only way to inspire other
women was to lead by example. 


My world was watching and while there were some who thought I might fail, I knew for certain that there were too many others rooting for my success. With this love and support I took a leap of bold faith, trusting that if I put in the work that God would handle the
rest. I was right! I now live life to the absolute fullest every single day
and it encourages so many others around me to do the same.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been
able to find a balance?


LK: I am a certified workaholic but when you love what you do it never feels
like work. I try to keep balance in my life by scheduling date nights with
my significant other, laughing uncontrollably with my friends, and
vacationing every few months. Doing these things keeps life in perspective
for me.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

LK: I live by the scripture Philippians 4:13 "I can do ALL things through
Christ who strengthens me."


BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged
you along the way?

LK: My mother, Maggie, is one of my most significant mentors, though she
probably doesn't even know it. I have watched her successfully open two
businesses from the ground up, learn the ropes of each, and thrive. I am
happy to have inherited her drive, passion, and compassion for people. It
is what motivates me to serve others in some capacity every day.


 BN: What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?

 LK: My must haves to keep my career or business going strong are daily
prayer, mentoring, continuing education and training, and the support of my
loving family.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

LK: My definition of a BOSS is a woman who has the spirit of a finisher. She
understands that obstacles will come and hurdles will be placed in her way,
but when she sets her heart and mind to do anything that God has aligned
for her purpose, she will train for the race, run it with all her might,
FINISH and most like be wearing stilettos the whole time!!!



Connect with Lakara Foster on Twitter @grownwomanguide  and
 Learn more about products and services at www.lakarafoster.com


To be featured as a Spotlight become a member of The BOSS Network 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network