BOSS Spotlight: Meet The " Successful Accountant" Chimere Gather



Chimere Gather has over 15 years of experience working in banking, finance, legal and various accounting roles.  She has an extensive background in credit management, financial consulting and more recently, taxation. She assist many small businesses and individuals by providing them tools to help better balance their checkbooks as well as their dealings with governmental agencies, the banking industry and their credit ratings. Chimere is the president of Gather Enterprises; she is also currently employed by a well respected Accounting firm in the northern suburbs of Chicago.  When Chimere is not working, she spends a lot of time with her children.  A few of her favorite hobbies are interior decorating, traveling and hiking.

 The Boss Network: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

 Chimere Gather: One of the biggest obstacles I faced in starting my career did not know what I wanted to do.  I knew that I liked accounting, but there were so many areas in accounting and it took me time and doing a lot of transitioning to determine what motivated me most.  I started out working in a processing department at a bank and from there moved to various positions until I eventually became a Credit and Collections Manager to later becoming an Accountant.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

CG: I have always been a numbers person.  Anytime I heard someone talking about money or if I saw a complicated spreadsheet, instead of taking a step back; I was drawn to finding a solution.  While some of my peers struggled in this area, it was second nature to me.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

CG: Since I’ve completed my Master’s Degree, I would say that I have more of a balance than what I used to.  But, presently I am still working toward my CPA license so there are some days/weeks where I have very little time for anything outside of the office and books but there are other weeks that I find time to catch a movie with friends, do something fun with my children or share a mini getaway with my family. 

Working for an Accounting firm, tax season almost makes a personal life non-existent.  But, that is only a few months out of the year and working for a firm such as the one that I do; the rest of the year you have as much flexibility as you want (along with weekly massages as a perk for the added stress). 

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

CG:“Don’t have just a J.O.B.”!  J.O.B. means Just Over Broke!!  There is a huge difference between having a JOB and having a career.  A JOB is something that just pays the bills, but a career is rewarding.  “Do what you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life”!

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

CG: I used to work for a manufacturing company and my direct boss which was the CFO, always encouraged me.  It didn't matter the day or the hour, he’d help me with assignments that I struggled with in class and always talked to me about further bettering myself.  In spite of me already being in management, he’d always tell me “the buck doesn't stop here, get at it Chimere”.  To this day he and I still maintain a very good relationship.

 BN: What are your? Must-haves? To keep your career or business going strong?

CG: Two must haves to keep my business as well as my employment going strong is being a great people person and staying ahead of the ball!  People need to know that they can trust you, that you’ll always have the answers to their questions or either can put them in a good direction to have their questions answered. They must feel comfortable with sharing many of their most private and confidential financial matters with you.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

CG: A BOSS is a hard working individual!  One that understands that success comes with a price tag and one that is willing and able to achieve it!
 

Connect with Chimere Gather and Learn more about products and services at www.thehechtmangroup.com




Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured

Comments

  1. Wow! Such an accomplishment. I am so proud of you. It's so inspiring to see a young black woman making BOSS moves. You have an undeniable determination that will always keep you ahead of the game. Congratulations Chimere!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network