BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Career Strategist" Tana M. Session

Tana M. Session, MBA, PHR, GPHR, SHRM-SCP. Tana started her career in Human Resources as an administrative assistant to the Director of Personnel at Ernst & Young in the mid-90s. Since then, she realized that the field was a passion for her. Over the years, she has held almost every position imaginable, while building her resume and expertise in the profession. Tana holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and a MBA in Organizational Psychology and Development. She has also obtained multiple certifications in the field of Human Resources (PHR, GPHR, SHRM-SCP); is a certified trained Career and Life Coach, who is currently pursuing her Professional Certified Coach (PCC) accreditation from the International Coach Federation (ICF); and is also Board Leadership certified by the African-American Board Leadership Institute (AABLI).In addition to previously owning her own business, Tana has also served as the top HumanResources leader for multiple companies, including for profit and non-profit organizations. Through the years, she has been recognized for her level of professionalism, leadership, strategic initiatives

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Tana Session:Exposure has been the biggest obstacle. I have opted to utilize social media (Instagram, Facebook, Periscope) to push my business out to the masses.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?


TS: I have over 25 years of progressive experience in Human Resources. I decided to get certified as a Career/Life coach in 2014 because I realized that managing and developing people through coaching was the future (not teaching/telling). I want to pour into people rather than discipline/punish people.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

TS: It is a challenge to maintain balance since my business is promoted primarily through social media. I have to schedule my day to ensure that I have “me” time (i.e., exercise, mani/pedi, reading, personal development, etc.), and time with my husband, son and friends. l also hired virtual assistants to help me manage my social media account and write the two books that I have had in my head for years! Because I’m so driven to make my business successful, it is a daily struggle to maintain that balance, but I’m committed.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

TS: “Either pray or worry, but don’t do both. I choose to pray!”

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

TS: I do admire Oprah Winfrey, Iyanla Vanzant and Maya Angelou. I like to watch the OWN series, “Masterclass”, which shows in their own words how various successful people have overcome obstacles and stepped into their destiny.

BN:  What are your “must-haves” to keep your career or business going strong?


TS: iPhone 6s, iPad and Macbook. I need my technology to keep up with what’s going on with my company and connect with socialize with current and future clients. Finally, but not least…my husband. His undying support, influence and belief in me keeps me motivated everyday.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?


TS: Women who are empowered, focused, driven, positive, motivated, gifted, spiritual, supportive and collaborative.




Connect with Tana M. Session on Instagram @tmsbizsolutions  Twitter @tanatane and learn more about her products and services at www.tmsbizsolutions.com










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC