BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Creative Visionary" Kymm Gaskin


 Kymm Gaskin,  the owner and operator of Creations Salon and Barbershop in Irvine, CA, and the Sumthin Serious Hair and Product Lines. Kymm is a celebrity glamhairstylist for various reality shows (e.g., Love and Hip Hop Hollywood).Her talent is sought after by clients all over the country. With almost 20 years in the beauty industry, and as the creator of the Sumthin Serious hair care line, including custom wigs, hair extensions, eye lashes, styling tools, and salon quality products-healthy hair care. Kymm's hands have graced the heads of critically acclaimed actresses, reality TV stars, and countless other professionals.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Kymm Gaskin: I faced many obstacles on my path to becoming a hairstylist, but when I started, I knew it wouldn’t be easy. I have always been business minded,so it was never about being just a hairstylist. I was focused on a bigger picture. I wanted to be a business woman. I wanted to excel in the beauty industry. I wanted to inspire others to follow their dreams.I had to develop a strategic plan for myself, so that I could create a career path where one didn’t exist.One of the biggest and most challenging obstacles I faced in the beginning, was encouraging myself to never give up.That was huge for me! There were so many times I wanted to give up because things were not going the way I expected – according to my plan. But what I quickly realized, is that everything works out exactly as it should to put me in place for my next move.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

KG:As a kid, I used to love playing with my dolls like any other little girl, but where most girls focus on dressing their dolls – I was fascinated with doing their hair. I remember being glued to my TV as Diana Ross worked her style in everything from Mahogany to Lady Sings the Blues. Each time I saw her in print and screen work, I fell in love all over again with her iconic hairstyles. When my mom became a part-time hairstylist, it really inspired me to pursue my passion. I knew I wanted to make women look beautiful. I would witness their smiles as they got up out of the salon chair. They were happy. I wanted to help other women feel that way.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

KG:I have been a stylist and a business owner for over 20 years. It was very difficult at the beginning of my career to balance my personal life and my business. When I started, I was working two jobs and trying to build my clientele at the salon, so I was only getting a few hours of sleep. I had to learn how to focus. I have definitely found a balance and it makes life so much easier. I have been married for 22 years, and my husband supports me in everything I do. He plays an extremely active role in helping make my business journey successful.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
“Failure is not an option.”

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

KG:My mentor is Master Hairstylist Cory Briggs. His was the first salon I worked in, and he pushed me to another level. He still helps and inspires me today.

BN: What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?

KG:I MUST keep a strong and positive head on my shoulders. I MUST stay ahead of the game.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

KG: A BOSS is a leader. A BOSS inspires, promotes positivity, is strong willed, and never gives up. A BOSS is not afraid to take the next step toward success. A BOSS wants to help others be successful.




 Connect with Kymm Gaskin on Instagram  @kymmscreations Twitter @kymmscreations and  learn
 more about her products and services at http://kymmscreations.com/







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network