BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Healthcare Expert." Tammy Lewis

Tammy Lewis,  A Registered Nurse with more than 20 years of experience.  She was recognized in Forbes Magazine in 2013 and 2014 for the growth of her company and expertise in the healthcare industry. She works with start-up businesses and healthcare agencies to ensure proper start-up and company growth.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Tammy Lewis: Some of the obstacles that I faced as a small business owner were fear, lack of knowledge and lack of resources. This made the first couple of years in the industry were very difficult.  I learned some hard, but valuable lessons during this time.

BN:  What inspired you to break into your particular industry?  

TL: I am a Registered Nurse with a 20 plus year history in the long term care industry.For most of my career, I worked through agencies.  During this time, I witnessed much abuse and neglect in the facilities, in which I worked.Even though I knew from an early age that this was my calling, the things that I witnessed pushed me into starting my own business.

BN:  How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you 
been able to find a balance? 

TL: If I had been asked this question just one year ago, I would not have had an answer, because there was no balance in my life.  Over the last nine months, I have learned to capture that balance by not putting more on my plate than I can handle.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?  

TL: My motto has always been, "Life is not just about making a living, but also about making a difference."  I believe that if you help others it will come back full circle.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or 
encouraged you along the way?

TL: I have two mentors, Mr. James West, who is the Raleigh County Commissioner and Mr. Luther Williams, who is the former Raleigh Business Manager.  These are the two men who did not allow me to sink.  They have followed me in business and given great business advice. I am very grateful to the both of them.   Although they are the ones who mentor me now, my fourth grade teachers, the late Mrs. Shirley Winrow and Mrs. Susan Burns have been my life long cheerleaders.  They were able to see the greatness in me before I knew that it existed.  Because of these two ladies, I have been able to overcome a lifetime of obstacles.  And let's not forget my husband, Anthony Lewis, who has had my back for the last 28 years.  I could never have pulled any of this off without him.

BN: What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?

TL: My must haves are simple:  God, family and of course clients.Without either of these, there would be no business.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS? 

TL: To me a BOSS is someone who is willing to help someone else to reach BOSS status. "Boosting Others Success Status"  To me, I am successful if I can assist someone else in reaching their full potential.


Be sure to check out Tammy Lewis, and follow her on Twitter @iamtammylewis and check out her products ans services at www.iamtammylewis.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network