BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Dream Chaser" Jasmene Bowdry

Jasmene Bowdry, A native of Lansing, MI graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Fashion Merchandising from Michigan State University and holds a Master of Business Administration from Prairie View A&M University. She's a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., The National Black MBA Association. When Jasmene's not busy forecasting trends, negotiating costs or attending fashion events, she loves to volunteer to feed the homeless, mentor youth, attend Sunday church service and travel internationally. Is a successful retail buyer and fashion stylist with over 10 years experience in the fashion industry.  She has worked as a retail buyer for several fortune 500 companies over the last 10 years including Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany & Co, and Sears. During her fashion styling days in NYC, she dressed several top celebrities in which her work can be seen in VIBE, People, XXL and Forbes Magazines. In 2015, her passion for style, black girl magic and business led her to take all of her extensive knowledge in the fashion industry to start BellaRosa Boutique- An online destination for stylish go-getters, sophisticated corporate climbers, and trendsetting influencers. Jasmene aims  to provide that boost of confidence every girl needs to step out into the world, whether her personal style is high-fashion, casual chic, sexy, or the perfect mix. The name BellaRosa was inspired by her  mother Rose whose name represents grace, love and appreciation — exactly what she feels for her customers. As woman of God, her favorite scripture reads” She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.”- Proverbs 31:25.

BN: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Jasmene Bowdry : Some obstacles I faced in the beginning process of my business were finding the right people to handle the things I was not an expert in. For instance, all of the legal documents required to start a business, the licenses, and fees etc. Also finding the right person to create my brand image was difficult at first. No one will be more passionate about your business than you, so finding people who can understand and properly execute your vision is imperative.

BN:  What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

JB: The inspiration for me to break into fashion was the 1975 movie Mahogany starring Diana Ross. Although it was a love story, it showcased a woman who never gave up on her dreams, who was relentless in her endeavors and unapologetically herself. I watched that movie at least 100 times and each time I am ready to conquer any and everything. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Merchandising and a Master’s in Business Administration along with over 10 years’ experience in retail buying as well as fashion styling. Therefore, opening an online boutique was a natural career next step for me.

BN:  How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

JB: Balancing personal and professional life is still a challenge. When you’re a team of 1, it’s hard to not work because there is always something that can be done. Since my business is still new, I don’t feel I have earned a break yet. The grind is continuous.

BN:  What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

JB: An inspirational quote that I live by is “You become what you believe.” – Oprah Winfrey There is power in the tongue and the mind. Negative thoughts produce negative things, so I always try to focus on the positive.

BN:  Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

JB: Some influential people that have encouraged me along the way have definitely been my parents, family and friends and my sorority sisters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Having all of the support I have received has been overwhelming and I am so thankful for them all.

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

JB: My “must-haves” to keep my business going strong are two simple things, Faith and Prayer. I pray over my business daily and I have faith that the visions I have for it will come to fruition.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?


JB: My definition of a BOSS is a woman who owns her lane. She doesn’t compete because she is confident in her ability and skill to do what God has called her to do. She supports, motivates and inspires. Her crown does not waiver, ever.


 Be sure to follow Jasmene Bowdry  on Twitter @jasmene & Instagram @JasmeneMache and check out her products and services at 
                                                         Shopbellarosa.com






Comments

  1. Congratulations soror on your career and business venture. You are truly an inspiration! May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC