BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Servant Leader" Lawana Harris

Lawana Harris, With inspiring passion and courage, LaWana is committed to helping others achieve their best selves. She is a certified energy management coach and author who thrives on seeing others maximize their potential. Active in numerous non-profit organizations, she is a passionate activist with 26 years’ experience in facilitating civic engagement and collective action.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process off starting your business or career?

LH: I struggled with trust in the beginning process of starting my business. Unfortunately, I allowed a few negative experiences to overshadow the potential for new opportunities. I’ve since come to know and appreciate the value of surrounding myself with people who truly support each other and resist the urge to compete or compare.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

LH: My inspiration for the & "Jaden Israel" & book series is my grandson, Jaden Israel. I want him to be able to read books with main characters that look like him, and help bolster his imagination beyond what society tells him is possible. I’m also driven to write books that help our children understand their ancestry beyond the limited narrative promoted in mainstream literature.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? 

LH: It may sound a little counterintuitive, but I found balance when I stopped trying to find balance. The truth is that there will always be times when being a BOSS demands a lot of our time and energy. Then there are times when we have to shut things down with the business and just be a wife or mother. Sometimes we have to take all of the hats off and just be still. I give 100%  to whatever situation I’m in at the time, and accept the fact that there is no such thing as a perfectly balanced life. Rather there are choices we make to ensure that everyone we encounter feels valued and appreciated.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by ?

LH: "Be the change you want to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 

LH: My grandmother was the main influencer in my formative years. I’ve also been fortunate to have a number of professional mentors that have helped me navigate the process of starting a business.

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? 

LH: My success hinges on a consistent prayer life that generates direct access to my eternal life coach, my God. My “Board of Advisors” is also a “must-have.” This group is comprised of people I trust who teach,correct, and support me in my professional endeavors.

BN:  What is your definition of a BOSS?  

LH: A BOSS is someone who unapologetically owns their destiny and empowers others to do the same.




Be sure to follow on Lawana Harris on Twitter @awholesomechild and check out her products and services at www.wholesomechild.org




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network