BOSS Spotlight Feature: Jena Bell, Founder/CEO of J Coach International


Jena Bell is a life coach, entrepreneur and motivational, transformative speaker that inspires her audiences with her message of “your setback is your next comeback.’  She is a former Senior Healthcare Executive with over 30 years experience. She was the first female and African American to head a $29 billion national health program.

1.    What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? I have been on the journey for over 32 years with 30 years in the corporate environment. The obstacles as an entrepreneur are similar as a corporate executive. There are four key learnings I had to apply early on.  Firstly, whether a career professional or running a business, you have to market (promote) yourself because you are your brand. This is sometimes easy to forget as a soloprenuer.  Secondly,  I learned to have the right systems in place and to outsource certain tasks so I focus on the development side of my business.  Thirdly, obtaining a mentor/coach early on was important. No matter what stage you are in, learning from others and being willing to be coached are important success keys.  Lastly, acting early and taking steps to align with others in my field. Networking, identifying the right organizations and strategically focusing your attention on building your network through active communications and in some instances, strategic alliances.

2.    What inspired you to break into your particular industry? My inspiration to enter the coaching and speaking business emerged as I transitioned out of corporate.  I chose to take time to really focus on me, my hopes, my dreams and my relationship with God. Through that period, my purpose was revealed. I answered my calling to serve others. Coaching  and speaking became the vehicles matching my purpose, passion and profession with my gifts.  I believe we all have inherent gifts and a call to purpose and when we harmonize the two, we find ultimate joy and greater rewards.

3.    How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? It’s alway a struggle for anyone that is passionate about what they do to know when to break away and truly experience downtime.  But what I learned when going through my personal transformation, I must make time to refuel, reset and restore my inner being and spirit.  To accomplish that requires that I make time for the downtime. My favorite examples are working out, holistic self-care, travel, weekends off, and sometime a day off in the middle of the week. I may close down and simply take in activities that  I enjoy without ever feeling guilt.  It’s a choice.   

4.    What is an inspirational quote that you live by? I am inspired by two bible quotes, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” and “I walk by faith, not sight.”  I believe that all things are possible when we believe, think it, and act upon it.  

5.    Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? There are so many people who have influenced my path.  The persons I hold dearest are my parents who always supported me and taught me to believe that I could achieve whatever I wanted,  if I worked for it and put forth my best. That belief,  was supported and validated throughout my life and my career by teachers and mentors who were influential as early as kindergarten and throughout my college career.  I am blessed to have champions who have lifted me through encouragement. I still remember them all!

6.    What are your “must-haves” to keep your career or business going strong? My must-haves to keep my business strong and impactful include continuing to invest in my personal development as a continuous learner who shares her gifts, development of  products and services that impact and transform lives,  a strong, diverse network of like-minded people, faith, a voice that makes a difference in the lives of others, systems, processes, technology, and a strong team.

7. What is your definition of a BOSS?
A visionary, compassionate, leader who influences and impacts others,  who is not afraid but willing to partner with others unconditionally. She shares her gifts and talents so that others walk in greater enlightenment.  She does not compete, she collaborates.


Jena L Bell - “The #1 Possibilities Coach”


To find out more about Jena Bell, visit her at:

Twitter: @jenalbell
Website: www.jcoachinternational.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network