BOSS Spotlight Feature: Dorinda Walker

Dorinda Walker is an Inspirational Warrior, Survivor, Community Advocate and Award Winning Corporate Executive. What is most compelling about her corporate position is the path she took to arrive there. In her first book “Protected by Purpose” Walker dives into her life story and provides the success secrets that allowed her to transition from a path to prison as a teenager to becoming one of the fastest rising brands in corporate America. 

1. What were some obstacles that you faced in balancing your corporate career and entrepreneurship?   I’m fortunate to have a successful career in Corporate America.  However, I knew that I didn’t want my career to be solely defined by what I do in the corporate world. I had a desire to advocate for those whose voices are suppressed, i.e., victims of domestic violence, human trafficking, physical and sexual abuse, etc. I want my legacy to be one of service and substance. The only obstacle I faced was having the courage to do it without knowing how it would impact my corporate career. I’m happy to report that it’s been widely embraced by my peers in Corporate America.   

2. What inspired you to become an author?   When I started sharing my story, I saw the positive impact it had on others. The first time I shared my story with a group of women, nearly 50 women stood in line and waited up to an hour to speak with me. The first woman stated, “no one knows this, but I’ve been contemplating suicide, but after hearing you speak, I know that’s not what God wants me to do.”  So many people are carrying shame and baggage from their past.  I now know that part of my purpose is to inspire individuals to let go, forgive and move on.

3. How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? 
I don’t believe in work/life balance. It’s really about prioritization.  There will be times you have to sacrifice family time for career and times when you have to sacrifice your career for family.  The key is knowing and accepting this as part of the many obstacles that life is guaranteed to bring your way and having the faith to know that it will all work out because God will see you through.

4. What is an inspirational quote that you live by? 
“I’m no longer accepting the things I cannot change…I’m changing the things I cannot accept” – Angela Davis  

5. Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 
My husband first and foremost, he’s been my best friend and supporter for almost 30 years. I recently lost my grandmother. Although I was devastated by the loss, I am thankful to have spent 47 years of life with this phenomenal woman. She taught me the importance of love and kindness. No matter what difficulties she experienced, she always greeted others with a hug and a warm smile, she never hesitated to assist anyone in need or missed an opportunity to say, “I love you”. I will always be grateful to have known and loved her and will try my best to live by her example.

6. What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? (1) Me time, I have to have at least 30 minutes per day to meditate and communicate with God. (2) A strong network of individuals who are doing big things, who I can learn from and inspire me to dream big. (3) Love and Laughter – Putting in the work is a given, but it’s meaningless if I don’t find the time to hug and love on the people who support me and take the time to laugh and enjoy life.

7. What is your definition of a BOSS? 
A woman who is unapologetic in owning her power and pursuing her dreams.

8. Provide us with two words that describe you?
 “
Inspirational Warrior”


To learn more about Dorinda Walker:  www.dorindawalker.com/ 

 Twitter @DorindaWalker


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network