BOSS Spotlight Feature: Kozi Kyles

Kozi Kyles, co-founder of Myth Lab Entertainment, is an award-winning content producer and marketing executive with film/TV and media experience.  Her broad industry experience spans developing brand partnerships and producing original content for top brands including P&G, Cadillac, and EBONY magazine. Kozi’s passion is helping brands engage with consumers using a mix of marketing insights and creative content strategies. 

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? They say your network is your net worth, but when I started my career in creative production I didn’t have a huge Rolodex of producers, actors, and agents to call on and LinkedIn wasn’t invented yet.  This forced me to get creative and strategic about my networking efforts and reinforced how important relationship building is at all stages of your career.

What inspired you to break into your particular industry? I’ve been interested in creative storytelling and filmmaking since I was a kid.  My sister and I even transformed our playroom into a makeshift film studio.  In college, I got my first real break into entertainment while working for Tracey Edmonds’ production company developing TV & film projects that included the “Soul Food” TV series. That early production experience sparked my interest in pursuing a career in content creation full time.

How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? As a reforming workaholic, I’ve learned to prioritize self-care to achieve a healthier balance.  For me, that means scheduling more time for reflection and activities that spark my creativity like reading, dancing, filmmaking, and traveling. 

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? I have two:
“Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection” - Mark Twain
“The possibilities are numerous once we decide to act and not react.” - George Bernard Shaw
  
Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? My father, mother, and sister have been my biggest mentors.  Watching my father pursue his entrepreneurial passion and become a Burger King franchisee gave me the drive to pursue goals and the courage to forge my own path as a business owner.

On the content side, I learned the power of storytelling from my mother who used school plays, creative story time sessions and speeches from great Black leaders to educate her students and create memorable lessons. 

From my super sister and Myth Lab business partner, Kyra Kyles, I’ve learned the importance of leading with integrity and confidence, as well as team-building.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? Creativity, curiosity and a constant willingness to learn.
Technically speaking: Presentations, scripts, and creative pitches are a huge part of my life and Adobe Photoshop, Final Draft, and Proposify are a few of the tools I consider my lifesavers. 

What is your definition of a BOSS? A BOSS is a person who pursues their goals with vision, drive, passion, and integrity. For me, it is also someone who reaches back as they move up.

Provide us with two words that describe you? Ex. "Success Coach" "Beauty Expert." Strategic Storyteller

Learn more about Kozi at www.kozikyles.com Twitter: @kozikyles
Instagram: kozikyles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network