BOSS Spotlight Feature: Monica Wilcox

Monica Wilcox | As seen on Bravo TV!

Award-winning Interior Designer and TV personality, this 20-year veteran and celebrity guest speaker has appeared as a lifestyle expert on WFAA and Fox Networks. She has been featured in various publications such as; Dallas Style & Design, D Home, Plano Profile and Home, and Papercity Magazine. Monica is the President of her Dallas based firm, M. Wilcox Design with a team of talented leading designers. Since launching her firm in 1998, her diverse portfolio includes; Hospitality, Residential, Athletic & Commercial properties, and Set Design. M Wilcox Design is known for delivering unique designs with functionality that are modern, yet classic. Monica’s unmistakable design sensibility has earned her several awards including, Best of- Interior Design, Top 20 Interior Designers, Best Design Exhibit, and The Prism Award. She is currently starring in a new reality design competition show on the Bravo Network.

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? There were a ton of major obstacles I faced when I started, the biggest one being how do I charge for my services? This had more to do with me and my self -worth, not what the clients could afford. It took some time, but I eventually learned to get out of my own way and charge what I was worth. I began to value my time and design ability and be more confident in my service offerings.

What inspired you to break into your particular industry? I always had a love for interior design, I was a single mother so I felt like having a stable job was the safest thing to do, eventually I had to decide to take a risk and live out my passion.

How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? I don’t believe there is really a balance between being an entrepreneur and being a wife and mother, I just have to sometimes decide who gets the majority of my time on any given day. Weekends are my time to turn it off completely, during the week, I try to remind myself to get in some me-time, and family time, but it’s always a difficult thing to navigate. You just have to try and do what makes you happy.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? God’s Delay is not his denial

Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? Tobi Fairley has been a huge inspiration to me and mentor, also I love to watch the upcoming designers that are on the scene, they always encourage me to keep pushing myself, and stay current!

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? I must have a beautiful place to work, with positive energy. I love to get new projects that challenge me like never before. My projects just keep getting bigger and that’s always exciting!

What is your definition of a BOSS? A person who doesn’t take no for an answer, a risk-taker who is not afraid of failure, and someone who is confident and knows there business inside and out.

Provide us with two words that describe you?  "Design Expert"


Learn more about Monica at www.mwilcoxdesign.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC