BOSS Spotlight Feature: Glynn Pogue

Born and bred in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, Glynn Pogue tells stories from around-the-world, and around-the-way. A graduate of The New School’s MFA program, with a BA in Journalism from Howard University, Glynn has written for National Geographic Traveler, Vogue, Jezebel, and Essence, among others. Glynn is currently at work on a collection of essays on race, class, and traveling while black, topics she regularly sounds off about on her podcast #BlackGirlsTexting.

1. What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?
The media industry is tricky. Much of it is based on who you know. I was lucky to have a few internships under my belt and a strong network of mentors to support me. Still, as I reached out for staff writing positions, and publishing opportunities I was often met with rejection. I have a variety of interests and skills across media, and I’ve always wanted to have my hands on a lot of projects. There is no real blueprint for my dream job, which can sometimes make me feel lost. 
However, these challenges have made me flexible and open to opportunities and pushed me to constantly widen the vision I have for my career. 

2. What inspired you to break into your particular industry?
I’ve been telling stories for as long as I can remember. I knew early on that I was a writer, but I was fearful about how I’d make a secure living, so I pursued a career in marketing and PR instead. After graduating from Howard, I joined the Peace Corps and moved to Cambodia. My daily experiences were so inspiring. I couldn’t fight the urge to document them in writing. I couldn’t fight what I was born to do. I started pitching work about my time in Cambodia and landed my first major piece in Essence. Once I saw my name in print and understood that my voice really resonated with my readers, I was all in.  

3. How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?
My personal and professional lives are inextricably linked. Storytelling is my art, and I practice it daily. Being a writer is a part of my identity and it shifts the way I look at the world; I’m always thinking about stories to tell and making mental notes of moments that resonate with me and would someday make a great piece. The more logistical side of my work—emailing editors and brand partners—is another layer of my professional life, and I block out parts of my day to do those things, but the creativity is a constant. 

4. What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing”-- Audre Lorde. 

5. Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?
My parents are incredibly supportive, they are both brilliant creatives in their own rights, and I’ve always valued their opinions and insight. My mother, in particular, is the former editor of Essence magazine and she’s always been the first person to read anything I’ve written. I also really value George Stone. During my freshman year of college, I interned for him when he was the features editor of DC Magazine. We’ve stayed in touch over the years and he’s now the EIC of National Geographic Traveler. He’s always believed in my abilities, and when he took on his  role at Traveler, he was quick to offer me publishing opportunities at the magazine. Landing those bylines opened a lot of doors for me. 

6. What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?
A supportive community and strong network, a curious mind, a notebook, and a pen. 

7. What is your definition of a BOSS?
A self-advocate who fearlessly pursues passion, knows their worth, dreams big and is willing to put the work in.  

8. Provide us with two words that describe you? Storyteller

Learn more about Glynn at Instagram: @bedstuybrat
Website: Glynnpogue.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC