BOSS Spotlight Feature: Deborah Koenigsberger


Black Founder, CEO, Stylist, Mother, and Wife: Deborah Koenigsberger has run her boutique
Noir et Blanc and nonprofit Hearts of Gold in NYC for a combined 57 years. Her boutique’s collections balance sophistication, French chic, and timelessness. At Hearts of Gold, her work has impacted more than 35,200 lives.

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? Some obstacles I faced were: not having an understanding of “business” in the traditional sense of the word, so I tripped and fell a few times but got up stronger each time. I had to learn on the job, so to speak. Fortunately, I met my share of kind people along the way. I have never forgotten them or the lessons they taught me. They carried me on their shoulders.

What inspired you to break into your particular industry? I came out of the world of modeling and fashion so it felt like the logical next step. I studied and worked in Paris for 9 months but I learned SO much in that short time. One standout lesson was how the right clothing could make a woman look and feel. After my stay there, I knew I wanted to style women to make them look just as fabulous and feel just as beautiful.

How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? My strategy is to take regular breaks and to travel the world. A change in landscapes and cultures helps me to recharge and replenish. When I travel, I discover “new”; new paths, new perspectives, and my creative juices flow. I always come back refreshed and raring to go. This has proven to be one big ‘secret’ to my success. 

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? When you make mistakes—and you will—learn from them so as to not repeat them. In order to understand the true meaning of success, you have to sometimes fail.

I learned this early on and it’s proven to be true time and time again. I am most proud of the things I learned through failure. My failures have taught me perspective. Even after 31 years in business, I am still learning. 


Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? My mother was my role model. She always believed in me and made sure I knew it. Bethann Hardison guided me and built my self-confidence by putting me in a position of huge responsibility at the young age of 24. She bolstered my self-confidence with her unconditional trust and love.


What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? I must have downtime, a strong team, and a mentor to bounce ideas off of even this many years later. Over time, I have worked all three of these into my life as a business owner.


What is your definition of a BOSS? A boss is someone who is her best asset, who knows her strengths and (more importantly) weaknesses, and is willing to work alongside her team. I never have anyone in my employ do things that I would not do myself. A boss leads by example.


Provide us with two words that describe you? Fashion Stylist


Learn more about Deborah Koenigsberger at www.noiretblancnyc.com

Instagram: @debkberger


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network