BOSS Member Spotlight: Dr. Freda Dubery

Dr. Freda Dubery, an exceptional dream chaser thriving as a wife, mother, pharmacist, and educator, has ventured into entrepreneurship. The founder of Photo Spree, a unique selfie museum, she combines her love for creativity and community. With Photo Spree, her goal is to inspire others to unite, create, and capture lasting memories.

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?
In Fall 2022, I experienced the miracle of giving birth to my first son. I was overwhelmed with new things while still in a state of joyful bliss. However, my joy turned to a feeling of complete terror and overwhelmed when, just two weeks after my second child's birth, I was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. That visit resulted in numerous ER visits, hospital stays, and four surgical procedures in less than five months.

Despite dealing with lingering health issues and the financial constraints that come along with juggling multiple responsibilities of being a wife, mother, and managing a major retail pharmacy, I persevered. I decided that I would work part-time to invest in educating myself on foundational business practices and to focus on what I could control every single day. With discipline and support, I believe every obstacle can be overcome and ultimately make you better.

What inspired you to break into your industry?
I returned to work as a pharmacist just one-month post-surgery and realized that my perspective on life had shifted. Though I dedicated a decade to this career, I felt I was being called to something more creative.

Recognizing opportunities for improved entertainment in my city, I explored ideas for businesses that would be great additions to our community. From curious social media posts to market research on selfie museums, I learned that similar models already existed, but there was an opportunity for innovation. I was in a prime position to create a unique business.

Now, I have the fantastic chance to step out of my comfort zone, learn some new things, and make a positive impact on my community and family. I hope that with Photo Spree, I will be able to build a legacy and leave an indelible mark on future generations in the form of joy, dedication, and wealth.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you found a balance?
Finding balance as a pharmacist, wife, mother of two toddlers, and a new business owner is a daily challenge. I win the challenge most days, and on others, I don't, but no matter what, I choose to seek understanding and give my best effort in everything I do. Whether taking personal care time, doing my daughter's nails – letting her polish mine, working on a project to find talented pharmacists, or planning room scenes for Photo Spree, I am determined to succeed.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
The quote I live by is from Marianne Williamson:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are
powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask
ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not
to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is
nothing enlightened about shrinking so other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God
that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. Our presence automatically liberates others as we are liberated from our own fear.”

I learned that I am allowed to pivot. I am allowed to do something unexpected. I deserve to love what I do for others, and I am worthy of having success in all good things.

Who were influential people or mentors who helped or encouraged you?
My husband, Ben, has consistently been my unwavering supporter and confidant. He consistently goes above and beyond to ensure the well-being of our children and handle our responsibilities, alleviating any concerns I may have. His constant encouragement motivates me to be my authentic and best self daily.

I would be remiss not to also acknowledge the incredible woman I have the pleasure of calling my coach: Dr. Derricka Harwell. Her love for her family, dedication to serving the community, and the grace she exudes in all her endeavors serve as a tremendous inspiration to me. I aspire to make her proud, knowing the years of wisdom she has poured into me will soon be evident.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business strong?
I will only have a strong, successful business with continued support from my amazing family, church family, and friends. It's also essential that I have a community that engages with me on social platforms and at events, provides continuous inspiration and feedback, and shares the joy my business has to offer with others. I have also learned to seriously love my planner, to-do lists, the word "No," and the importance of real rest.

What is your definition of a BOSS?
A BOSS is a woman who doesn’t make excuses or quits when it gets complicated. She knows a No today, but that doesn't mean it will be a No tomorrow. She doesn't wait for someone else to do it but finds a way to do it. A BOSS goes after their dreams and fights to reach the vision she has been given every day. She knows her very presence and attention to a matter can shift atmospheres. She says yes to constructive criticism, and she finds ways to learn something new every day. She knows that she was created for a purpose that is beyond her and she is honored to do her part. She is honored to show and teach others and while she knows that everything doesn’t always go to plan, she remembers that she has so much to still smile about.

Provide us with two words that describe you. Doctor Boss

Learn more about Dr. Freda at www.photospree.com 

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Dr.FredaDubery/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network