BOSS Member Spotlight: Rhonda Turner

Rhonda Turner is the CEO of The Rustic Brush, and Owner of The Rustic Brush – Memorial and Pearland locations. She is also a 29-year veteran Sergeant with the Houston Police Department. Rhonda empowers women by cultivating new entrepreneurs to become business owners and making their dreams a reality.

****************************************

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?
Locating a business mentor who would guide me through the process of owning a business was a huge challenge. Mentorship is important to have, especially when you are ready to throw in the towel. Another obstacle was financing. I researched different funding sources until I settled on what I thought would be the better option for me.

What inspired you to break into your industry?
I’ve always loved art, building things, and socializing. So, after attending a workshop at a Rustic Brush location, I knew this was what I wanted to do as my second career. I loved the creativity of The Rustic Brush and that we are not just a painting studio, but we help guests create and build their home décor masterpieces from raw wood. We do this all in a very relaxed, social, and BYOB environment. All the things I love are wrapped in a business.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you found a balance?
I make myself enjoy things outside of my business. I trust my staff to do an exceptional job, and I enjoy time with my family and friends. It’s hard to find a balance because of fear that no one will care for your business more than you. However, to maintain a healthy mentality, I make myself trust others to run the business as if it were theirs.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith in God is my mantra in life. It settles me and comforts my spirit. If faith is not activated, fear will replace it.

Who were influential people or mentors who helped or encouraged you?
My parents have always been my greatest motivators. My Dad didn’t believe in the “damsel in distress” theory. He instilled in his daughters that we are ambitious leaders and could do and have whatever we wanted. And sometimes, you just have to encourage yourself. Continue to say “yes” to yourself and build your confidence in yourself.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business strong?
I “must-have” faith reminders to keep me going especially during challenging and slow seasons. I “must-have” a laptop and phone to keep me communicating with potential guests and clients and I “must-have” a fluid marketing strategy that’s creative and current.

What is your definition of a BOSS?
Be Ordained in your Specific Specialty. In essence, walk in your purpose and do the things you were created to do. That doesn’t apply to just owning a business, but it applies to life in general. Own whatever you do and BOSS it.

Please provide us with two words that describe you. Creative Instructor

Learn more about Rhonda at www.therusticbrush.com

Instagram: @therusticbrushmemorial

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network