Proper messaging = Ideal brand positioning by Miji Hope

The first consultation with a new client is always the most fun! Many times, independent professionals and entrepreneurs hear a lot about branding and marketing, yet know little about how to apply this widely misunderstood concept to their everyday routine.

When this is the case, I reassuringly tell my clients; fret no more!

It’s always my goal to guide clients, and now you, through the basics of branding and marketing; how one can fuel the other and how they can work both independently and interdependently.

The first conversation I make sure to have with clients is simple but hard hitting... Begin with the ending in mind. Profound, right?! In one year, two years, three years down the line, what is it that you want to be known for? Answer that question... Now work backwards. That's how you begin with the ending in mind.

Often times your end will be further away than three years, however, the same rules apply. Taking the time to brainstorm and reflect on your end 'game' will allow you to begin with a strategy that carries you through; making certain that the objectives you set in place today will build you up for tomorrow's win.

Brand messaging and your company's content should be especially created by using this philosophy or approach.

Messaging and content qualifies as any and everything written, verbally communicated and/or visually projected to the public from you on your behalf. This includes Press Releases, Media Advisories, Logos, Website platforms, Social Media designs as well as Tweets/Updates, Webisodes, Special Events, Posters, Flyers... The list can and does go on and on!

When operating as a professional, either in your individual brand or for the brand of your own company, you've got to be clear about a few things. Every SINGLE intentional impression counts (so use it wisely), and brands are built over time with consistent and frequent action.

A mentor of mine once shared with me an interesting, but hard hitting fact: it takes someone 3 times to notice a brand and 7 times to want to play a part, patronize or even become interested in that brand. When you've figured out what your end game is, its then time to create a message and corresponding content that not only supports it, but that can be used and communicated on a consistent basis over a long period of time.

Let's look at an applicable example::

Message: I'm the best Life Coach in Arizona, You need me, Come purchase this service from me- Target Reaction: Didn't hear/see it- 3rd Impression[Registered in the Sub-conscious/Semi-conscious]

Message: I'm the best Life Coach in Arizona, You need me, Come purchase this service from me- Target Reaction: Heard it/saw it- 4th Impression (Registered in the Conscious)

Message: I'm the best Life Coach in Arizona, You need me, Come purchase this service from me- Target Reaction: Heard it/saw it- 5th Impression (Conscious)

Message: I'm the best Life Coach in Arizona, You need me, Come purchase this service from me- Target Reaction: I need something/someone to help with my goals... Heard it/saw it and begins to reason with self- 6th Impression (Conscious)

Message: I'm the best Life Coach in Arizona, You need me, Come purchase this service from me- Target Reaction: I've been hearing about this Life Coach in Arizona; maybe I could use her... Heard it/saw it and begins to consider actually utilizing the service-7th Impression (Conscious)

As seen in this example it literally takes repetitive, consistent and on-going messaging to brand, convince a potential and complete the sale of a service or product. The selling component is usually the aim or ideal result for branding in the first place. Additionally, marketing will be one or the only outlet you choose to use when communicating the said brand messaging and content.

So let's wrap it up...
When creating or revamping your brand, begin with the ending in mind. Envision where you'd like to be 3+ years down the line and work your way backwards. Whatever the brand concept is that you come up with create the messaging and content to align with it and consistently, across all channels of communication, project the same messaging over a long period of time.

Although there are other factors that play a part in the positioning of a brand, to understand the importance and role of a brand's messaging and content is the first step to ideal positioning the mind's and hearts of consumers.



Learn more about Miji Hope at The Premium World

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network