King Bey’s School of Business: Lessons from “Life Is But A Dream” By Brittany Applegate


If you tuned into Beyonce’s documentary “Life Is But A Dream” on Saturday, February 4, you saw the many faces of King Bey. Aside from learning about Beyonce, the musician, wife, and mother; we saw Beyonce, the businesswoman. Beyonce taught many lessons throughout her documentary. From making the decision to part from her father’s management, to having tough skin while handling business; Beyonce took us to class. Check out the top 3 lessons I learned from King Bey’s School of Business.
Lesson 1: No Skirts In The Boardroom
“I think I realized that business and being polite, doesn't match. You can be fair but me being polite was not me being fair to myself. Now, I’m learning how political things are and a lot of the crazy things [my father did] was necessary.”
When you have important decisions to make, deadlines to meet, and products to release, the last thing you want to do is be polite. When handling business, being polite can put you in a position to be taken advantage of. All of the wonderful ideas that you were once very certain about become a cloud of confusion. You become insecure about your craft and sensitive to criticism. Like Beyonce said, “you can be fair” but not polite.” Develop tough skin and remember, “NO SKIRTS IN THE BOARDROOM!”
Lesson 2: Forget Being Cool!
“I’m gonna take a risk…I’m gonna do the opposite of what I thought I was gonna do. I’m not gonna try to be cool. Forget being cool. I’mma to be honest. I’mma be sad, I’mma be passionate, I’mma be vulnerable, I’m gonna sing from my heart.”  
My generation (GenY) tends to follow trends and create what’s “hot” at the moment. We should create for the long-run; create something classic. Classic comes from the heart. It comes from being vulnerable, being honest, and being passionate. Forget being cool! Be yourself! Do what works for you!
Lesson 3: Communication is Key!
“I’m like most women — very generous, and I’ll compromise,” she says in the movie. “I used to be afraid of people thinking I was difficult or too critical, and you know, I don’t really care about that anymore.”
Throughout Beyonce’s documentary, I noticed numerous times that she was an effective communicator. Details were important to her. She asked questions, played the devil’s advocate sometimes, and stood up for what she believed in.  She never hesitated to speak up. She was the captain of her team, the creator of her craft, and ultimately, the BOSS. If you want to be successful in anything, you must communicate effectively. Never be afraid to speak up and stand up for what you love and believe in!
Share your thoughts or get additional advice from Brittany Applegate! Follow this BOSS on Twitter @bdapples



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network