BOSS Spotlight: Meet The " Educator" Tisa L. Silver


Tisa L. Silver is an educator, philanthropist, and the award-winning author of The Time Value Of Life , with a passion for inspiring others to become lifelong learners and community servants. Tisa is the current Associate Director of Financial Education and Wellness at University of Maryland, Baltimore.

The BOSS Network: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?
Tisa Silver: I can think of two obstacles: fear and being ahead of the curve. Fear was more of a factor in the real of my work as an author. We live in a world of "Breaking news." There is pressure to be quick and on the pulse of whatever is happening right now, but for me, the thirst to be first is less important than my personal commitment to producing quality content. I value accuracy too much to rush. I use my name on all of my content, and sacrificing quality can diminish your credibility. As for being ahead of the curve, you will not find too many financial education and wellness professionals on a college campus. When you work in a position that does not have much basis for comparison, you have to prove your value to the organization and the industry. That takes time. Hopefully, other schools and business will jump aboard and formally acknowledge the impact finances have on the well-being of their respective constituents.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

TS: I knew that regardless of the industry I chose to work in, I wanted to be someone who educated and empowered others. I worked my way through graduate school at the University of Delaware as a research assistant and tutor for finance students. My break came when the chair of the finance department asked if I would like to try teaching. By try, he meant teach about 150 students! At the age of 24, the college experience was still so fresh in my mind that I was able to reach my students in a different way. Teaching at the college level was one of the best ways to combine my passion for education and fascination with finance.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

TS: When it comes to managing different roles, I don’t think of balance as a permanent state. Each day brings something different. Some days I have balance on other days I don’t, but what I have every day is a clear understanding of my priorities. With those priorities in mind I have to make decisions about which matters deserve my time, energy, and resources. I will keep striving for balance, but I am more concerned with keeping those priorities intact.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

TS: “The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me”
“Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.” -Rosalind Russell

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?


TS: I have a few people who are mentors and others who I look up to from afar (or Twitter). My parents were (and continue to be) two of the most influential people in my life. They value education, a solid work ethic and compassion for others. Outside of my family and looking into the real of financial education, Deborah Owens, America’s Wealth Coach, is awesome. She graciously shares her wisdom and her platform. I admire her dedication to empowering women to be wise about their finances. I am so thankful for her support and influence. John Hope Bryant, founder of Operation HOPE, is also a great inspiration. In my opinion, he has mastered the art of pooling people and resources together for the cause of lifting others up.

BN: What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?
TS: Passion for what I do. It can keep you going when you feel like quitting. Good company. A trustworthy inner circle for support and guidance is invaluable. I could not do the things I do completely on my own.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?


TS: There are so many layers to being a BOSS. If I had to sum it up, I would say a BOSS is constantly on the move, progressing toward new personal and professional heights, and lifting up others as she rises.


Connect with Tisa L. Silver on Twitter @tisasilver and for products and services visit TisaSilver.com

Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network