BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Savvy Professional" Nikita Whittaker.

Nakita Whittaker, Since being diagnosed with Lupus in 2003, this busy career mom has mastered the art of balancing a personal life, career as a Sr. Mortgage Processor for PNC Bank and maintaining good healthwhile managing to provide daily savvy business tips for career focused women.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? 


Nakita Whittaker: Having Lupus; a few symptoms I suffer with are fatigue, hair loss and pain. Some days, I have had trouble literally getting out of bed; not to mention my self-esteem of “feeling ugly”.Refusing to allow this illness to defeat me - I had to mentally & physically motivate myself every day to do the things I love; so I chose a career that challenged me to be creative and hold myself accountable for my own successes - this way I had to contribute 100% effort excellence. Blogging daily helped me see my growth.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

NW: I started as an entry level processor for a mortgage company in 1997. As a young mom; fresh out of school, I just needed a job, and this paid the bills (honestly, I didn’t know  what a loan processor was). Months went by, I finally got it (after no training) I now appreciate the importance of my career - and then I was fired. My manager was mean and rude when expressing his level of displease with my job performance – so much to the point; I sat there and cried in his office. That day, I vowed to not only learn this business and grow thicker skin but become a master in this field and I did. Years later, that same manager offered to hire me back once he saw for himself I have become an expert in my field – we met again on opposite sides of the table during a mortgage closing of a loan that was said by his processor to be “uncloseable”– that I closed! I kindly declined the offer.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?



NW: In my opinion, you can’t call yourself successful if you lack balance. I made a promise to myself; my family will never suffer - only benefit from my achievements! To me, that means I must make time for them and myself, even if that means turning off the computer and iPhone. I mastered this by using my “Savvy BOSS Tips and Great Time Management!

NW: "If you’re not an asset, you’re a liability"

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

NW: Besides God, my biggest influence is the manager who fired me , my beautiful family/support system who love and support me, my BOSS ladies who inspire me, my Lupus support group and the love of my life and my King – who put up with my crazy self.



BN:What are your “must-haves” to keep your career or business going strong?

NW: Must have self discipline, great time management and remain a positive mindset.
BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?
 
NW: A Divine, Innovative, Positive, Supportive and Motivational woman who knows she is not perfect, but strives to be daily.



Connect with Nakita Whittaker  
Learn more about products and services at Website:Nicciwhittaker.com




Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured



 

 



 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC