BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Fashion Designer " Laurie Underwood

Laurie Underwood, Owner and Designer of Wanda Grace. While following her childhood dreams, Laurie took on the challenges to see what successes she could accomplish by becoming an independent fashion designer. Laurie started her design business in 2008 and continues to grow her brand through style inspiration and empowerment.


TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Laurie Underwood: One of the biggest obstacles I've faced when I started my business was the fact that I had to wear many hats at once, while juggling my day job and my role as a mother. Starting off, I was the Designer, Stylist, web designer, publicist,  brand manager, the customer service rep, basically, just about everything for my business. I wasn't at the point where I could pay people, nor was I at the point where I could trust others with my brand. But, with personal growth and patience, I found it easy to delegate certain roles and responsibilities without compromising what my brand stands for. 

BN:  What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

LU: Since the age of 9, I've wanted to become a Fashion Designer. I believed in myself so much as a little girl, that it became a truereality for me. I often visualized it and I was always drawing fashion illustrations, while admiring women who displayed confidence with style. I wastruly inspired by the idea of having the ability to build a look for someonethat allows them to display who they are without having to speak a word. Today,this still inspires me.  

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

LU: I find balance by having good mornings, eating well, feeding my mind with non toxic information and daily visualization of how I want to build my lifeand I practice having faith without insurance. I found that when you decide how you want to live your life, balance will find you and you will eventually be able to live according to your life's purpose. Yes, I have long nights, a high-demanding day job, I'm a mother trying to maintain balance and I am always working on other projects that I have interests in but, it's all a part of theprocess that will lead me to where it is I should be.   

BN:.What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
 
LU: Dress for the life you want, not the life you have.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?
 
LU: This is actually a long list in my book. My journey has and still is being inspired by so many individuals. But, on a daily basis, I am inspired by my daughter Journe. She's six. I learned that she listens to everything I say and watches everything I do. This in turn, builds her character, which is basically turning out to be a mini me. So, she'll speak my own advice to me, which is amazing. One day, she came out of nowhere and said to me, "God is going to make you a brand new person".  I don't take this lightly. Sometimes your inspiration and encouragement can come right from YOU! Literally. 
 
BN:What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?       

LU: Strong support system of family and friends-Daily style and fashion inspiration-My sketchbook to illustrate my ideas and thoughts as a Designer- Maintaining my passion, so that I continue to do what I love.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

LU: A boss is someone who knows that her passion will lead her to her purpose. She uses her purpose to be in charge of her destiny, while empowering and inspiring others to do the same.
 
 



Connect with Laurie Underwood on Instagram  and Twitter
@shopwandagrace and
learn more about products
and services at www.wandagrace.com
 
 
 
 






Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network