BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Marketing Innovator" Karen Alston

Karen Maria Alston, A leader in the marketing industry, Karen Maria Alston has proven to be one of many top innovative and visionary thinkers in the business. Karen began her career at Fortune 100 companies such as JP Morgan Chase, MBNA America Bank and America Online. In 2002, Karen left her career in corporate America & founded Alston Marketing Group 
www.alstonmarketing.com Her extensive client list features government & non profit entities in the Mid Atlantic region. Karen has been features in numerous publications including Black MBA, Essence, DC Modern Luxury, Black Enterprise and many others.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Karen AlstonI was so green. I knew I was well trained from school but unprepared for corporate America. I am so thankful for learning my craft at the hands of some of the best marketers on Wall Street and in banking. I learned to do any function in the company. I understood the power of hard work and a disciplined work ethic.To this day I rarely take lunch.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

KA: I fell into marketing while working at MBNA. I enjoyed testing different credit card offers and card designs. I enjoyed working with so many brands. I quickly transitioned out of managing teams into working on creative projects. My love for marketing was born and I was good at it and could make a impact in the success of the company.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

KA: It has taken me years to develop a work life balance. I leave my business at the office. I try to not bring work home unless I have no other choice. I take time for myself, working out, my health and friendships/family. I used to not do this and one day realized I needed that balance. Now, I demand it and maintain a healthy work life balance.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

KA: Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.Winston Churchill

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped encouraged you along the way?

KA: I am blessed to have several mentors, men and women who guide and push me for success. Oprah is a spiritual mentor though I have never met he in person, she helped me find my spiritual path to live my best life. I am truly blessed to have too many mentors to list 
here.


BN: What are your ?must-haves? to keep your career or business going strong?

KA: Relationships, for me business is about relationships. Keeping them and cultivating them. People may move jobs or leave to move to another town/city but if you do good work they will seek out to work with you again. I have a strong team that supports me. My team is my brand/business. They help my firm provide great service and creative to our client.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

KA: A woman who understands who she is and understand what is required for success





Connect with Karen Alston on Twitter
@advertisingdiva Facebook Advertising Diva
( Karen Alstonlearn more about products
and services at www.alstonmarketing.com



Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network