BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Motivational Speaker" Makeba Green


Makeba Green, started her nonprofit OMG Enterprise at the age of 13. Makeba is currently an author, photographer, educator,  media mogul, community activist, she has had the chance to impact the world because of her obstacles she has faced.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of
 starting your business or career?

Makeba Green: Some obstacles that I faced at the age of 13 years old when I started my business are the same obstacles that I face now that I’m 21. People judge me and treat me with less respect because of my age, the color of my skin & because I’m a woman. Unfortunately, many people let that be a determining factor of if they would work with or take me seriously with my nonprofit & my entrepreneurial goals and aspirations. Even with me being a student. I had to constantly prove that I was actually worthy enough for people to even refer to me as an entrepreneur, or student, instead I was always hearing “Oh look at this little girl, isn’t she cute.” This obstacle is something that I still face, but I no longer let it discourage me but instead I use it to my advantage.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

MG: What inspired me to pursue my nonprofit was ultimately was when I was in high school I attended my first meeting to apply for a grant. To make a long story short, I used my money that I made from my business to buy business attire & to make sure that I was presentable before the meeting started the, C.E.O of the company stated, “Are you Makeba’s daughter?” I replied no I’m Makeba Green, she said,” Listen honey you shouldn’t lie, because the Makeba we spoke to was well over a baby there’s no way you could be Makeba,”…. She followed by saying, “Honey look it’s not nice to tell lies, please leave this office.” I rushed out the office in tears & disappointment, however God blessed me that day because while I was crying in the office waiting for my parents to pick me up, God blessed me with a mentor & supporter who supports my nonprofit business to this day,
from that day on I promised myself I would never let anyone or anything stop my success.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

MG: I love what I do, so I don’t look at my business as a stressor rather a relative so in terms of balance I’ve learned how to take time for myself and my business.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

MG: “Without struggle there is no progress.”- by Frederick Douglass

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

MG: My parents were my first mentors, because I literally saw them struggle & accomplish so much success which gave me no choice to excel and never give up.

BN:  What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong?

MG:To keep my business going I constantly need support & people to believe in my nonprofit mission.


BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

MB: A boss is someone who doesn’t need permission to achieve there goals or success.



Connect with Makeba Green on Twitter
@makebagreen Facebook Makeba Green and Instagram @makebagreen


Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured

Comments

  1. I haven't been so moved in quite some time. Your journey needs to be shared with the nation. You are a BOSS indeed. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information provided in the blog.
    Rakesh Shukla is a speaker on motivation and beating odds in personal life and workplace. #TWB_ is #world's #premiere #technology #content #company #started by #Rakesh #Shukla. He founded the Voice of Stray Dogs (VOSD) in 2013, world's largest citywide dog rescue. Rakesh Shukla | Founder & CEO of TWB_ | Founder of VOSD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC