BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Creative Artist" Riska Crowder

Riska Crowder, The Power house experimented with the art of cosmetology early on in her youth which determined her lifelong career as a true beauty consultant. In 2007, Riska became a licensed cosmetologist at the Fort Worth Beauty School and graduated in June of 2009. Excelling in the field of cosmetology. In May 2009 to working with one of the top brands in the beauty industry: the “World Famous” M.A.C. (Makeup Artist Cosmetics).Riska became one of the PREMIER certified M.A.C. consultants until August 2011. These experiences opened the gateway for her to create her own identified brand known as “Lady Lashes” – a lash extension and makeup boutique located in JELA’s Epiphany Salon in Fort Worth,TX. Her business continues to blossom as crowds of people from all over the DFW area gravitateto experience her art and exceptional customer service. Recently her amazing talent allowed her showcase her artistry on some of Gospel Music’s heaviest hitters, David and Tamela Mann at the 2013 Stellar Awards in Nashville, TN.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Riska Crowder: The obstacles I faced in the beginning were finding balance with what I love to do, and time for my family. It was a process, getting an adamant schedule down because my husband’s career and my kids were very young at the time when I decided to start a new business in the beauty industry.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

RC: I've always loved makeup! I was always into something... I started playing in my sister’s makeup at age 5 and would get into trouble. By the time I was in high school, I was doing students makeup for prom, homecoming games different events. I've always kept up with the trend of what celebrities were wearing on their face. This is something I knew deep down inside I wanted to do.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

RC: Yes! My husband and I have created a system to work on balancing. He's very involved and helps out a lot.. I really thank him for that. Our home is our place of peace, so when I walk through that door, I know how to leave work where it is and turn my motherly/wifey switch on and be just that.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

RC : “Beauty is not in the face, it’s the light in the heart.” –Kahlil Gidran

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

RC: My Sister Torri is my strength, She raised me and keeps me grounded. I have a God Mother. Debbie Smith, she taught me so much ... She's a true definition of a role model, still learning!! And there's Tamela Mann, she's an amazing woman.. Very inspiring and such a creative soul.

BN: What are your must-haves?

RC: (To keep your career or business going strong) Books! I love to read. The beauty industry and trends are always changing so I am always reading books on business, reading articles and reviews on product, and watching the latest tutorial. Lastly, you need someone in your corner that can tell you the truth and keep you in line.

What is your definition of a BOSS?

RC: My definition of a BOSS, is someone who sets out a plan and acts on it to achieve their dream. They are hard workers with rational decision making skill in a high pace environment. Bosses always see something creative and beautiful out of everything that could go wrong. Bosses are the beginning and the end.


Connect with Riska Crowderon Twitter  @IAmRiskaCrowder, Instagram @iamriskacrowder & Facebook Riska Crowder


fbMake sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network