BOSS Spotlight: Meet The “Youth Strategist” LaKisha Hillard

LaKisha Hillard, M.Ed is a lover of life. Although by day she is a Professor. She has toured as an Actor with several national stage plays, honed the title of a Television Host for GNTV network in Detroit, she is a Youth Mentor and more recently a new Author of her book titled “The Flyy Baby Mama”. LaKisha’s passion for life and quest for personal success has propelled her to great new heights. While some may say she’s done it all, for her It wasn’t until she embraced her own obstacles that she encountered what her life’s purpose truly is.  Her life-changing event of becoming an unwed mom, did it for her - She was destined to help another young woman overcome.  With her expanded networks in Education, Entertainment, and Business, LaKisha has decided to “tap in” relentlessly - to motivate and inspire young women to rise above the stereo-types.  
TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or 
career?  

LaKisha Hillard: When first starting out as a Higher Education Educator, it was hard for me to break through to the Non-profit sector because I worked with a for-profit education sector

BN:  What inspired you to break into your particular industry?  

LH: Well, what inspired my career as an Educator was inspired by – was my experience in working as a case manager for  a Chicago social service agency – and while doing so, I noticed that so many of my youth cases regardless of race/gender; they all had one thing in common – the lack of support and education.  As for being an Author: what Influenced me was my own story and the obstacles that lie within it; once I overcame my struggles and fears, I vowed to tell my story with the hopes of helping another single unwed mother to overcome any stigmas or fears as well.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? 

LH: Ha!  It’s a forever process, however I’ve learned to take a moment amidst everything that is going on in my life – and do a self-check list – to make sure I’m still on target for my goals.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?  

LH: “To Thine Own Self Be True”  -Shakespeare 

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 

LH: I’ve always embraced successful women who were super cool and down to earth – and would always say “When I grow up.” But to name one in particular my high school Mentor/Soror Robin Riley-Robinson, was that woman.  Such a sophisticated and successful woman yet super cool.  She was always there – supporting me like a big sister.When it mattered she was there! And I said when I grow up I will do the same for a young person…

BN: What are your must-haves to keep your career or business going strong? 

LH: I must have God first and foremost.  I must pray several times a day.  I must have peace, so that I can think clearly and make the best of the tough decisions that I am faced with daily.  

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?  

LH: A BOSS to me, is a woman who has experienced obstacles in life that prepare her to figure out what her X factor is; and now she has learned who she is; she then learns how to tap into that “stuff” which makes her – uniquely her; and then use it for a purpose bigger than herself.  She is the kind of woman that makes young girls step their game up.  






Connect with LaKisha Hillard, on Instagram @ucanfindkisha Twitter @lhillard30
and FaceBook  lakishahillard learn more about her products and services at 



Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC