BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "PR Expert" Chanette Sparks

Chanette Sparks, Public Relations and Marketing professional with over 10 years of business management under my belt. I was born in New Jersey, but have spent most of my life in North Carolina. My mission in business is to help small businesses and thriving entrepreneurs excel in their professions by getting media ready.I have four beautiful children who I credit so much to all of my accomplishments. I hold advanced degrees in both marketing and media relations. When I’m not spending time with my family or working at my company, I am indulging in meditation, reading or healthful living activities.


TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Chanette Sparks:When I initially started my business, I faced several challenges. Over the past 14 years I have been involved in many diverse business endeavors of some sort. However, it wasn’t until 2010 that I finally launched into a lucrative and profitable profession, that complimented my talents. Most of my obstacles were financially driven. I went through a pretty touch divorce and I suddenly had to find balance during that environmental shift. As a single mother of four great kids, I had to learn how to effectively run my business from my home office, while also being a full-time parent.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

CS:I have always been a business initiator and I have always loved the public relations and marketing field-but I didn’t know it! I was operating an events planning business when a client asked me who was doing all of my marketing. When I told her it was me, myself and I; she became my first client. It happened in that precise order. The inspiration behind the opportunity was an enlightening moment for me. I was already receiving my bachelors in Marketing during the time, so when the shift took place, I was amazed and humbled. The break was clear to me that great things come to those who wait.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

CS:I have found balance through daily meditation. I am a naturally organized and critique individual, so much of my balances occurs from how I “begin” my day. I write everything down and make it a priority to schedule meetings and such around my family. There was once a time when I was trying to combine business and family, and that was a major learning lesson for me. It is so important to separate the two. My balance comes from knowing when to turn my profession on, as well as knowing when to turn it off.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

CS:I have so many, but I adored the late Maya Angelou who once said: People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. #Quote To me, this quote gives me life. It reminds me that no matter how high I elevate in life, to always remain humble and be the change I wish to see in the world.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 

CS:In my personal life I’d have to say my grandfather who passed away in 2002. He’d always tell me to follow my dreams and never give up. He was one of the many people that really believed in me and he was a dynamic male role model for me outside of my awesome & supportive father. In addition to my ‘papa’ I admire a lot of professionals that influence me today. There’s really not just one. I have found inspiration from some of the greats that worked diligently to overcome past hardships to develop their platforms, most which of whom are self-made successes such as Oprah Winfrey, T. Harv. Eker, Tony Robbins, Ali Brown, R.K. Rowling and Les Brown. These are just a few. I could go on for days.

BN: What are your ?must-haves? to keep your career or business going strong?

CS:Productive relationships, which start at my inner core. I must have a positive environment, an organized space, and a recruiting model or strategic plan. First, I thrive on how my atmosphere feels and really don’t put up with a lot of pettiness. My clients come first, and it is my daily goal to ensure that their needs are met. Each week, I send my clients positive texts and emails to keep them inspired. It also helps me maintain a personal relationship with them by giving them of touch of who I am outside of business. When I sit at my desk and open my laptop, playtime is over and it’s time for me to grind. From my interns to any employees that I have, we are strategic-and to be so, we must have a plan in place each week. Outside of that I must have my daily cup of coffee!!!  What’s business without coffee?!!!

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

CS: I think a BOSS is a women with a positive and purpose-filled life. She’s a go-getter that is strong and not afraid to fall without getting back up. She is goal-driven and dedicated to completing her mission. She goes after what she wants in life and strives for success. She is someone who can do all things through Christ and values her faith. A Boss is every woman that believes that she can! 


To connect with Chanette Sparks follow her on Twitter  @Chanette Sparks and visit her website at  www.InitialsByJake.com




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC