BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Exercise Habit Coach" Andrea Nichols-Everett

"Dre" Nichols-Everett, The Exercise Habit Coach and founder of D3: Dre's Diesel Dome Fitness, LLC in Chicago, IL. Led by a divine mission, Dre opened D3 in 2007 with the purpose of helping people make exercise a consistent part of their lives. Dre recently expanded her fitness ministry online by creating fitness and nutrition programs that reach people all over the world. Dre has been featured on Windy City Live, has worked at Harpo Studios, and has been featured in several local and national magazines.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting you?

Andrea Nichols-Everett: Fear and uncertainty were the major obstacles I faced when I opened D3.  First of all, back in 2007, there were only a few "boutique" style gyms in the country like D3.  I was actually the first to open a boutique style "boot camp" on the south side of Chicago so I was up against the big box gyms in my area.  Secondly, the concept of a smaller more personalized gym had not yet caught on in Chicago so I was pioneering this type of business as well. When something is new, you just don't know how well it will do which causes fear and uncertainty. Also, I never owned my own company before so I really had no idea of what I was doing. I knew I was an excellent trainer but I did not know at that time that running a business is not just about what you "do", it's more about how you market what you "do" and that was new to me. I was able to finally defeat both fear and uncertainty by just DOING things I was afraid to do! Fear and uncertainty are the strongest when you are inactive. Once you move and start to make good decisions, they both dissipate over time. I continue to feel fear and uncertainty at times but I just do it anyway! 

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

AE: I taught fitness classes at several big box gyms and I always felt like there was something missing from them. Members, who belonged to these big box gyms, were not achieving their goals because they were just a means for the gym to be paid on a monthly basis. To be honest, I was sick of gyms just not caring about their members. I wanted to provide an environment where people could learn to love to workout and live a healthy lifestyle.  I wanted to provide a safe and caring place where members could bond with each other and finally achieve their fitness goals.  I wanted to make my members feel cared for and as if they were getting a personal training session without the high personal training fees. So, I created D3.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

AE: This is difficult for me because I love what I do and I just want to work all the time. However, over the years, I have learned that I am actually better and much more focused when I give myself a break to just enjoy my life. My husband and family also help me with this because they know I am a super “Type A” overachiever and they help me balance my work and my time spent with them. This is my main work in progress!

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

AE: "People change when the pain of being the same is greater than change". I love this quote because this is where D3 starts. D3 is for people who are ready to make themselves a priority and make a permanent healthy change in their lives. You will not get to this point of permanent change until the pain of being the same is greater than the pain of change.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

AE: My parents are the most influential people in my life. During my childhood, both of my parents were entrepreneurs and I saw how hard they worked to provide for our family. My parents instilled in my sister and I, at an early age, that we could be and do anything as long as we worked hard and never quit. I respect and appreciate their no nonsense stance on making sure we were properly educated and ready to take on the world-on our term. Because of my parents,I am who I am today and can help so many men and women live longer and stronger lives.

BN: What are your ?must-haves? to keep your career or business going strong?

AE: I must have continuing education to make my business and my clients better.I consistently study marketing and new fitness disciplines so that I am always on top of my game on expanding my business and bringing in programs that benefit my clientele. I also must have a solid and well trained staff that understands my mission and vision for D3. After years of being in business, I finally have the best staff ever and I am extremely blessed to have them on the D3 team!

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

AE: Being a BOSS is so much more than just a title, it’s a huge responsibility. Being a BOSS means that you are creating and managing a company with your own ideas and creativity to serve and make others better in some capacity.


Be sure to follow on Andrea Nichols-Everett on Twitter @exercisehabit1 and check out her products and services at www.d3getfit.com





 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC