Why Every Creative Needs to Unplug and Unwind By L'Oreal Thompson Payton

Technology and I have a love-hate relationship.
I love being able to keep in touch with faraway family and friends. I hate being constantly connected. An oxymoron, I know.
I was one of the last in my group of friends to subscribe to the smartphone life, despite persistent protests from my then-boyfriend. Now I probably use my phone more than I care to admit: on the bus, on the train, on the plane, at the gym, in the bathroom. It’s almost like my phone is an extension of my hand.
Being a slave to technology comes with the hustle. If you’re a blogger or small business owner, you have to remain on top of everything or risk losing that next big deal/break/partnership, etc. Not too mention the pressure to acquire more followers, more subscribers, more this, more that.
But it’s never enough. And, if you’re not careful, the “need” to keep up with the Kardashians and every other Instagram personality will leave you burnt out and exhausted.
Which is exactly why I relish the opportunity to leave it all behind. Earlier this year, my husband and I joined my family for our second annual spring break trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. For a week, my immediate family, aunts, uncles and cousins enjoy quality together time at a beach house … cooking together, eating together, laughing together and dancing together.
Yes, there are TVs (this year’s residence came complete with a home theater!) and yes, there is WiFi. But, for the most part, we’re able to truly be together without distractions from work and everyday life. I wrote in my journal for the first time in over a month on the deck overlooking the ocean. I just wrote and wrote and wrote some more. I wrote everything that came to mind. Everything I’d been internally debating and mulling over for some time … my hopes, my dreams, my goals and aspirations. I left my heart and soul on those pages. And I felt refreshed and renewed as a result.
I brainstormed and started several blog posts during that downtime as well. Without the constant need to go, go, go, I was able to pause, step back and reflect. I gave my brain a chance to “turn off” and, as a result, I was rewarded with ideas and strategies to take my brand to the next level. Without constantly scrolling social media pages, I was able to think about what I really, truly want to accomplish instead of what so-called experts say I should want.
By unplugging and unwinding, I was able to reclaim my sanity and creativity. Now I’m ready to kick some ass and take some names. Who’s with me?
Learn more about L’Oreal at her blog LTintheCity.com and follow her on Twitter and Instagram @LTintheCity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC