BOSS Spotlight: Meet The “School Director ”Rhea A. Henderson

Rhea A. Hendersonis the Founder and Executive Director of the RH School of Performing Arts LLC. She is a graduate of Chicago State University. Among several other organizations, she is a member of New Life Covenant church and a 27 year member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Rhea A. Henderson:One of the biggest obstacles I faced was the funding to open my business. I didn't have the best credit and my savings was minimal. I learned that if  you “speak” it you will“receive” it. I had several resources right in my direct circle with the ability to assist me with removing these obstacles. Because I had done my best to be obedient to God's demands of me in the past, these folks did not hesitate to do all they could to help. This was only after I “spoke” and made plain the goal I was trying to accomplish.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

RH: Being professionally trained from 6 years old up through college, dancing was always my passion, but never a career option for my parents who were paying for my education. While I successfully climbed the corporate ladder as a Health Information Systems professional, my soul constantly screamed out for what it needed to be whole, for me to be whole. That constant screaming led me to open up the RH School of Performing Arts 9 years ago.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? 

RH: Some of the tools I use include setting a schedule for the year and sharing it with my staff and family. This way everyone is aware of my goals and plans and I can be held accountable to sticking to them and the schedule. I also delegate wherever I can as well as utilize all my software to it's maximum potential. This allows me to free myself of certain tasks and at the same time empower others. It also helps me to be as efficient as possible. Most important, when I'm feeling overwhelmed I pray and ask God for redirection.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

RH: I actually live by 2 inspirational quotes. “What you put out into the universe is in direct proportion to what you receive from it”. “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain”!

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

RH:My mom is one of the many people that encourages me. She is my biggest cheerleader and is brutally honest, especially when it's needed. My good friend Nicole Jones who is an accomplished entrepreneur herself, has a drive and tenacity that won't quit!This woman never gives up and she will NOT allow me to. I love her for it more than she knows. She is a clear example of what God will do for you if you are obedient!

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

RH: God is the 1st “must-have” on my list. No explanation needed. In addition I require an exceptional PR and marketing team to help ensure that my clientele increases by at least 20% each year. A 501c3 status will be of great benefit as corporate sponsorship for scholarships are a huge part of what sets us apart from other performing arts programs in my city.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

RH: A BOSS woman is a women who is the epitome of what beauty looks like form the inside out! She is chosen,bold, ambitious, loyal, humble, tenacious, fearless, encouraging, compassionate and most important God fearing!


Be sure to follow Rhea A. Henderson on Twitter @Rhea_Henderson and check out her products and Services at www.rhspa.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC