BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC

Pat E. Perkins CPCC, A Leadership & Life Strategist focused on empowering women of color to advance in their careers purposefully, powerfully and profitably.Pat holds an ICF Coaching Certification and a Masters from Roosevelt University. She's a native of Chicago who enjoys being a loving Aunt to a tribe of nieces and nephews.Her personal motto is“To whom much is given, much is required.” 

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

PP: My biggest obstacle in the beginning when I launched my business was my mindset about marketing. If you build it, they will not come. Magnetic marketing is key to attracting ideal clients and sharing how your services will make a difference in their life.Often new entrepreneurs hold back and it’s not their fault. We were taught that it’s rude to brag on yourself. Well if you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. Self-promotion is key and is linked to confidence in your contribution. Once I retrained my brain to believe that sharing truly is caring for my potential clients, this initial obstacle became less of a challenge in my business growth.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

PPI was inspired to break into the coaching industry while leading large technology implementations for Fortune 500 companies. As a project/program manager, the missing link to promotion for my colleagues because clear. Once, I realized my passion for women of color to proportionately populate the highest-ranking positions and be divinely compensated for their contribution in the world, I got certified as a life coach to provide the leadership and life skills necessary for women of color to get promoted.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

PP:My fundamental belief is that we have one life and it’s all personal. When we attempt to compartmentalize our life into multiple pieces is when we have a challenge. I’ve chosen to integrate the dynamics of my life; faith, family, friends, finances and fitness into my daily habits and routines such that I’m focused on fulfillment versus a function of how much time I invest in any one of these areas. When I coach women on Time Mastery, these principles have given my clients permission to let go of the guilt and shame often associated with their attempt to “balance” their lives. It’s true freedom when you can let go of what life is supposed to look like and embrace a life by personal design.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

PP“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently” by Maya Angelou. Courage is a choice we make every day, it is the catalyst that causes us to continue to pursue our calling.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

PPI’ve had many influence's along the way. Namely my life mentor, my Mom who raised four girls while working and made it look effortless. My corporate mentor and friend Alana, whose after-hours guidance propelled the trajectory of my career. And, my business mentor Ali, who continues to be a source of inspiration.

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

PPMy must-haves are three-fold: 1) Mental Mastery to maintain my focus. This is achieved through my daily practice of faith and fitness. 2) A coach/mentor who has been there, done that and wears the t-shirt proudly. And, 3) The financial means to keep my business sustainable and profitable. Many entrepreneurs give up because they simply run out of resources. As women, we must focus on the means to stay in the game. It’s essential to us making a difference and fulfilling our purpose.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

PP: My definition of a BOSS is a leader who is unabashedly, unapologetic about her mission, vision and contribution in the world. And, she is willing to put in the work to make it happen.




Be sure to follow Pat E. Perkins on Twitter @pateperkins and check out her products and services at www.pateperkins.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network