BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Change Agent" Jameka S. Whitten

Jameka S. Whitten, Owner of JSW Media Group, a boutique public relations and brand management firm. Prior to working at JSW Media full time, Jameka served as the Co-Founder and Executive Creative Director for SOTAC (State of the Arts & Culture) Magazine and worked in digital media and events at ESPN.  

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Jameka S. Whitten: Fortunately, I grew up in an entrepreneurial household. My mother worked for herself most of her life, so I was exposed to the life early. My father was also an entrepreneur, so I got the business bug early. Because this is all I’ve known, I was able to side-step many of the pitfalls most small business owners encounter early on in their endeavors. But, of course, I had challenges raising capital and attracting clients with large enough budgets to afford my services in the beginning. Patience and hard work helped me overcome.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

JW: I am in love with all things entertainment and pop culture. I also enjoy helping people, so working as an entertainment publicist was a natural fit after leaving the journalism world. It’s been interesting being on the other side of the fence. It’s fun building brands and representing incredibly talented people.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

JW: I won’t lie; it’s difficult for me to find balance at times. How I make it work is that most of my friends are in the business so it makes my career fun. Each day there is laughter and smiles to counter the sleepless nights and stress. I don’t work traditional hours, so if I need to take an hour or two to hang at a coffee shop or meet a friend for a much-needed cocktail on a random Tuesday afternoon, I have the autonomy to do so. Taking several small mental breaks during each workday helps me keep my sanity.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

JW: "Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others."-Jonathan Swift

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

JW: I’m surrounded by some powerful and intelligent people, but my mother (RIP) is singlehandedly the most influential. She was a business woman, a soldier for Christ, a philanthropist and a general Rockstar. She is the reason why failure is never an option for me. The goal of my life is to honor her life and make her proud.

BN; What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

JW: My two iPhone's, Fresh books cloud accounting, my laptop, Base camp for project management and my team. Actually, my team is number one on that list. 

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

JW: I don’t have one definition; I believe that Bosses, like Leaders are born. There is an inner BOSS in all of us,you just have to feed that passion and allow it to surface.God made us all BOSSES in our own right.



Be sure to follow Jameka S. Whitten on Twitter @JamekaShamae and checked out her products and services  www.jswmediagroup.com & www.jameka-shamae.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC