BOSS Spotlight: Meet the "Creative Cultivator" Anneka M. Jenkins

Anneka M. Jenkins, Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and Alumni NFL Cheerleader, Anneka Jenkins received her B.A. in Communications with an emphasis in Radio Broadcasting. Currently lending her skills to Cox Media Group Atlanta, Anneka is also the Co-Founder of Show Me Shoes Foundation. The mission: rebuilding confidence..starting at the "sole".

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? 

Anneka M. JenkinsAt the beginning of my philanthropic journey, my biggest obstacle was the fear of getting started and not having everything together. When Show Me Shoes started in 2009, our idea was simply to collect shoes for women in need. That mission grew to become something bigger than the initial seed that was planted resulting in missions that serve not just women who new new soles.. but new souls. We overcame these obstacles by keeping the momentum going and living personally through our mission.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

AJ: My personal journey inspired me to break into the philanthropic space. I was a Midwest girl, who was the only child with big dreams. When I moved to Atlanta to grow my career in media, I was blessed with a large group of interns who were just like me as a freshman or sophomore in college. When I finally figured out that life wasn't about me, yet my story - there was instant gratification in serving others - by inspiring them that they too can live out their deepest desires and dreams.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

AJ: I have been able to balance my personal and professional life through my morning rituals: prayer, yoga and meditation. My daily calendar could be intimidating, but taking ‘sole’ care of me first thing in the a.m always gives me the “ump” to conquer the day. It's imperative I start the day by clearing my mind of clutter and to-do’s. This allows me to live through each moment and breath through any difficulties or decisions presented to me. I like to tell people, you should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day, unless you’re too busy, then you should sit for an hour. :)

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by? 

AJ: Be comfortable being uncomfortable.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 

AJ: There are so many influential people in my life. I am truly influenced by my family, friends, “sole-sisters”, volunteers,mentees and mentors. They have all overcome some sort of adversity, are goal-driven and risk takers on this journey we call life!

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

AJ: My “must-haves” to keep my career going strong are my faith; a strong team of supporters, Stop, Breath and Think Meditative app; my Google calendars and a clear, peaceful and open mind.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

AJ: My definition of a BOSS was taught to me by my mentor Janna B and has stuck with me ever since. BOSS is an acronym for a woman who Believes, Owns, Sees and Seizes their destiny.




Be sure to follow Anneka M. Jenkins  Twitter at @annekamaquay and @show_meshoes check out her products and services at  www.showmeshoes.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC