BOSS Spotlight: Keeana Barber "The Marketing Visionary"


As the CEO of WDB Marketing, Keeana Barber, focuses her day on expanding the impact her company has on small businesses.  At the core, WDB is a branding and printing company, a place over 1,000 businesses proudly call their marketing headquarters.  However, the imprint Keeana would like to have is much larger.  Our focus as a company is more than delivering a service, more than printing — it is to truly help businesses build a foundation for success.







1. What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?The biggest obstacle I faced at the beginning of starting my business was a lack of a business network/mentorship.  I started my business fueled by the passion to continue my brother’s legacy, who had recently passed away.  Without any investment or support I hosted an event in his honor, months within his passing. The event was surprisingly successful but from there I had a string of hit or miss events as I learned from the ‘school of hard knocks’ about business.  Although I have no regrets I realize that it took years to learn what I could have possibly gotten from the right mentor within months. Although I had a vision and drive for success I was not following a business model with a strategic plan.  After a few years of hosting events I finally found my niche and transitioned to a full-service marketing/design firm. 

2. What inspired you to break into your particular industry?
Although I always knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur I was unsure of the exact path.  My brother, Bobby Barber, passed away in November 2004, directing me to the field I am in now.   Before passing, he started a promotional and entertainment company in California called What’s Da Bizniz.  I decided to keep it going in his honor.  We started out as an event entertainment/promotional company and over the years have transitioned into a full-service marketing and printing firm. 

3. How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?
Work-Life balance is challenging as an entrepreneur. It feels like there is always more work to do and you feel guilty when you take time off.   However, I discovered that those breaks that feel like indulgence are truly necessary to bring out the best in you – personally and professionally.  I schedule my personal time in and although it is a challenge, I do my best not to flake on myself! My business coach once asked me, what do you do to reward yourself?  There will always be another milestone to reach, another item on your to do list, but to be our best self we must take the time to reward and enjoy ourselves along with the way.  


4.What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
“Luck is when opportunity meets preparation”

5. Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?
My mom has been my biggest support system; she has worked in the business with me since day one.  My mentor, Dr. Jeffrey Sterling has been integral.  He runs an organization with over 500 physicians, consults internationally, is the President of a 5,000-member organization but still has time in his day for golf.  I am learning efficiency from him. 

6.What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?
My must-haves for business is an updated ‘To-Do’ list.  I rewrite my to-do list at least 2x a day, just to stay focused and organized.    My second must have is integrity.   You can make mistakes, no one will ever be perfect in business, but it is how you handle those mistakes and challenges that defines your business culture.

7.What is your definition of a BOSS?
BOSS is someone who has a vision and can clearly articulate and execute that vision without having to do everything.  I learned a long time ago – if your business cannot run without you, you work for yourself.  If you can leave and it keeps running, you are a BOSS.

8. Provide us with two words that describe you? Ex. "Success Coach"
Marketing Visionary

Comments

  1. This was a great blog BOSS Lady, you have encouraged me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a positive tips for the business. While coming to capture the local market, it needs different strategies. You can use the local LED video walls Toronto to display your services for attracting local customer. It can tell the quality you will provide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marketing really irreplaceable for the business. besides this, businesses need to provide a good customer services. Using IP phone quebec can provides a good communication services towards the customer and also it curtails the costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couples therapy is aimed at addressing issues between husband and wife in order for them to have a happy life together. The therapist assists the couple in identifying problems and making behavioral and other changes to ensure that both spouses are happy. Education, mediation, and psychotherapy are all used in couples therapy. couples therapist

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC