Expectations for Family and Friends and Business by Corvet Williams

Do you think family and friends should automatically support your business? Many heated debates have transpired over this topic. I had this idea sparked from a recent commercial I saw that said in the 1970s you could call up 10 family and friends and boom you had a successful business. Times have changed. 

Here is a personal experience I had. I was launching my business at an event and asked some family to come to help me promote while I tended the booth. Well, the help didn't exactly help the way I hoped for. They mostly sat down on their phone, at my booth, which made it look tacky when potential customers came up because there were people sitting down not engaging customers. A big NO NO right? I was upset and let down. They were even supporting other businesses and not mine. I expected them to be as excited as I was and help make my business a big deal at this event but they didn't. Afterward, I sat down and reconfigured my plan. I came to understand this was my dream, not theirs. To get the help I wanted I needed to hire people for what I needed or find others who believed in my vision.

 Family and friends are who they are regardless of our business. They were here before the business and we can’t demand them to be on board when we open a business. True enough, having their support is vital but we may not get it the way we expect and it’s necessary to adjust our expectations so we don't get let down. If I decided to sell a product for acne, it would be unreasonable for me to expect my family/friends to buy my product if they don’t have acne. They generally wouldn’t go to the store and buy a product they don’t use just for the sake of buying it. We have to remember that when it comes to our product/business. The most they may be able to help is by sharing a post on social media, donating money to the business or just being a shoulder to lean on for moral support. 

At the end of the day, don’t cut off your Friday night movie buddy all because he/she doesn’t support your business. Don’t forget the times they were there for you when you needed help changing a tire or took out time to sit with you when you lost a loved one. A family is a family, friends are friends, business is business. I hope this gives you a new perspective. I know its hard when the people we love the most don’t support our business the way we expect them to but know they still play a vital role in your life. If it gets too hard to understand their lack of support sit down and have a heart to heart with them about it. Maybe you can come to an agreement to get you on the right track.

Find more about Corvet www.corvetwilliams.com/ Twitter: @CorVet

Comments

  1. Family can be supportive at several times. You can get the confidence from them. For the business, you can use téléphonie IP affaire to make sure better communication and connection with customer and clients at minimum cost.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC