BOSS Spotlight Feature: Bernice Jackson

It is a privilege to be part of such an amazing group of women on the BOSS Network. Thank you for the opportunity to shine. I truly didn’t have that glamorous successful life that so many women here have had. I didn’t know I would end up a single parent of 4, working 2-3 jobs just to keep a roof over our head and food in our belly. My hard work did pay off with great successful kids.  Once my last kid was grown, I sat back, lifted my head up and realized I didn’t live for me during that time. But, I’m still standing and now, I’m an entrepreneur working hard to build a business of motivating others, through apparel and promotional items and books. Also, I’m on a journey of finding what makes ME happy.


What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Some obstacles were not having a support system and help; and of course the, “if you give me something free then I will advertise for you”, “your prices are too high”, “I don’t know your company so I don’t want to use my credit card”; the list goes on.  My “will” cannot be broken. I joined the BOSS Network to find new circles to surround myself with. 

What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

It was accidental for me. This business was actually a partnership with my daughter who is an artist. I found myself learning adobe suite and creating some awesome custom designs that my customers loved. Being able to create and write again is awesome. 


How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

I have created a daily work chart and placed my repetitive tasks for each day of the week on the calendar. I prioritized my daily scheduled diligently and make sure I include time to take care of me as much as possible.  I make sure I include some out of the box adventures.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

“Rooted in me means, I will fight for my own success, I will fight through my own failures, I will create my own adventures and through the strength of my roots, I will live life to the fullest”. By Bernice Jackson

Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

My mother played a big role in keeping me motivated and pushing through.  No matter what hit her, she found a way to get up and keep moving. I’m grateful for her love of reading, which transcended down to me, and her recipe for biscuits and gravy.   Harriette Tubman, Madam C.J. Walker, Maya Angelou are some of my influencers because, through adversity, they kept getting up. I now realize that I haven’t earned the right to give up.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

To keep my business going I would want a support system that is encouraging and whom I can encourage along this journey and better marketing to increase sales. An assistant with design experience wouldn’t hurt either.

What is your definition of a BOSS?


A BOSS is a confident adventurous visionary, who leads and inspire others to be more today than they were yesterday. 

Provide us with two words that describe you?


Adventurous Risk Taker”

Learn more about Bernice at www.riseofdarkdawn.com 
Twitter: @riseofdarkdawn


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network