BOSS Spotlight Feature: Lisa S. Jones
Lisa S. Jones, CEO, and Founder of EyeMail Inc. has developed multiple, patent-pending technologies within the video-in-email marketing space. For more than 15 years, Lisa has been a digital innovator and disruptor for global marketing communications. She is a trailblazer for women in technology and currently attends Harvard Business School.
1. What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? Some of the obstacles I experienced was finding the right developers and core team to support my vision. The feedback I was receiving at the time in the US was “why are you trying to add video and audio to email”? It’s not necessary so don’t waste your time. As a result, I sought international support to assist with building the EyeMail technology. Other obstacles included even with signed non-disclosure agreements completed, having to go thru multiple obstacles to prevent copying my patent-pending technology to protect my interest and my global brand. Lastly, I would say working to build my brand for years around the clock until 3:00AM including weekends, while working a corporate role was a challenge in balancing time, energy, and effort, in reaching my goal of being a full-time CEO, which I was able to accomplish.
2. What inspired you to break into your particular industry? I was inspired to start in the Email industry because I was fascinated with the concept that within one click, a message could be sent/.transmitted in seconds, anywhere in the world. I started EyeMail as a commitment to honor the memory of my mother and her life’s moments in time to be celebrated globally. I also started EyeMail, a marketing communications technology company to support my goal to innovate and elevate the standard email experience to include instant-play video on mute to play in the inbox to increase engagement.
3. How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? I have learned to take time to celebrate both the small and large successes in my journey. When I first started EyeMail, I was on the go non-stop and time passed by like a blur. As the years progressed, I learned the importance of a true balance and taking time away from the business to laugh, relax and refresh, so that I could come back stronger with more resilience and focus. Also, I am currently learning the value of meditation daily, and also writing in a gratitude journal makes all the difference now in my amazing outlook on life and balance!
4. What is an inspirational quote that you live by? Never discount the Power of One (1). My personal created quote from Lisa S. Jones: “Greatness can be born from anywhere in the world and Significance is not geographically defined”
5. Who is one influential person and/or mentor that has helped or encouraged you along the way? My Mother was and remains my influential mentor, as she prepared me to be a BOSS, she prepared me to stay the course, be kind, work hard, stay true to yourself, never settle, and to win the game. While she may not be on earth, her spirit continues to shine the light on my path and journey to greatness. Go Mom Go!
6. What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? My must-haves for business include having access to other innovative thought-leaders to stay abreast of industry trends, a strong diverse team, and keeping a sense of peace and gratitude every day. Also, must-haves for me is I must have access to the internet speed, my computer, and a cellphone. With these items, I can make mountains move.
7. What is your definition of a BOSS? A BOSS is a confident woman of vision, who knows what she wants and will not stop until she gets it. She treats all with kindness and grace but is never to be underestimated, as she will show you her real strength when she shows up.
8. Provide us with two words that describe you? “Email Innovator”