BOSS Spotlight Feature: Bernice Jackson

 

Bernice Jackson, is a Graphic & Technical Designer, Project Manager, Writer and Entrepreneur. She is the CEO and Founder of Rise of Dark Dawn Graphic Design Company.  She has an out of box, creative storytelling, and critical thinking personality. Even this introvert can switch gears to work a crowd. 

 
What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

A few obstacles I had to face were, not having a support system and help from the very people I gave all of me too.  Also, people saying they were leery of adding their credit card into a none established company system.  I was discouraged, but not willing to give up. I had to figure out how I was going to establish myself and my company in the market place.


What inspired you to break into your industry?

It was accidental for me. My business was actually a partnership with my daughter who is an artist. I found myself becoming more involved in the business and tapping into creative sides within me that has since blossomed from t-shirt design, to graphic design, marketing design and now tech design.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you been able to find a balance?

I have created a daily work chart and placed my repetitive tasks for each day of the week on the calendar. I prioritized my daily scheduled diligently and make sure I include time to take care of me as much as possible.  I make sure I include some out of the box adventures and spa days. 

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

“Rooted in me means, I will fight for my own success, I will fight through my own failures, I will create my own adventures and through the strength of my roots, I will live life to the fullest”. By Bernice Jackson

Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

My mother played a big role in keeping me motivated and pushing through.  No matter what hit her, she found a way to get up and keep moving. I’m grateful for her love of reading, which transcended down to me, and her recipe for biscuits and gravy.   Harriette Tubman, Madam C.J. Walker, Maya Angelou are some of my influencers because, through adversity, they kept getting up.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

A personal tribe, of at least six, whom we can hold each other accountable for meeting our goals, timelines, supporting and motivating each other.  

What is your definition of a BOSS?

A BOSS is a confident adventurous visionary, who leads and inspire others to be more today than they were yesterday. 


Provide us with two words that describe you?
Visionary Designer


Learn more about Bernice at https://riseofdarkdawn.com

Instagram: @riseofdarkdawn

Twitter: @riseofdarkdawn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC