Three Tips to Overcome Fear: Moving from fear to fruition by Yvette Gavin


What frightens you the most when it comes to living out your dreams?

The fear of excruciating pain didn’t plague me as I considered the possibility of the Novocaine wearing off before my dentist completed my tooth extraction. Frantically he said, I can’t get the tooth to move, and I can’t give you any more Novocaine. I quickly responded in a silent prayer asking for the tooth to be removed without me feeling pain, and for this answered prayer I vowed to start the ministry and business that I’ve known for years I was purposed to lead. At that very moment, my dentist said, “I got it!” My prayer was answered. I should have been elated, but I wasn’t. Immediately, the fear of starting a business and failing as a business owner consumed me.

The fear of leaving the comfort of a high-paying job to start something new with an uncertain financial future plagued me. I wasn’t alone either. Based on research from a goal-based social network, Linkagoal, about 31 percent of adults are afraid of failure.

The fear of failure can paralyze people into staying in toxic relationships and unfulfilled careers. The fear becomes a roadblock to achieving their desired success. Armed with the determination to not allow my fear to become a roadblock, I began to do the work that was necessary for me to move from fear to the fruition of my dreams. Today I’m enjoying leading a thriving business ministry that has impacted the lives of others across the globe. From Thailand to Brazil, and various states within the U.S., I’ve coached and trained on professional and personal development. I am living out my life’s purpose of inspiring and equipping others to live with purpose.

What is it that you’re purposed to do but have not started because of fear? Now is the time to move forward and here are three ways you can begin a journey of transitioning from fear to the fruition of your dreams:


1. Change the Narrative in your Head

To some people, fear and faith may appear like opposites but they are not. They share a key common component of manifestation. Both fear and faith require us to believe something that we cannot see.

Fear says, “Believe the negative.” I will never be a successful business owner.

Faith says, “Believe the positive.” There is a divine solution to my business success.

Fear says, “My marriage will fail, you will never be happy.”

Faith says, “I have a thriving marriage, my spouse respects and loves me deeply.”

Fear says, “I will never achieve my dreams.”

Faith says, “All things are possible for me.”

No doubt you’ve heard the says, “change your mind; change your world.”

2. Set Small Goals

Goals define where we want to go and without them, we have no clear destination. Start by writing out small goals that are slightly challenging but not overwhelmingly. For instance, if your desire is to start a business, do some research on what is needed to start a business. If your vision is to obtain a second degree, set a goal to research universities and talk to an admissions officer.

3. Practice Reflective Thinking

Take the time to stop and reflect on past and present experiences. Start by considering all the potential outcomes of your decision. Next, write down on a piece of paper the worst-case scenario of moving forward with your vision. Lastly, create a contingency plan. This will allow you to feel more confident about moving into your dreams.

Learn more about Yvette at www.yvettegavin.com Twitter: @yvettegavin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network