BOSS Spotlight Feature: Lenora Blackamore

MECCA Marketing Group Inc's CEO is Lenora Blackamore. Since 1997, her interest and profession have been web development. Her interests lead her to create a diverse portfolio in the financial, publishing, and educational sectors. Lenora is devoted to her faith and enjoys traveling and sharing a meal and karaoke with family and friends.

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?
Money! Or rather, the lack of it. I didn't know where to look for the money I needed for my business, much less how to get it. There were few financial options for black women company owners, especially during the pandemic's peak. It seems as if you needed an insider's knowledge of the funding groups. I worked for a single organization and completed their curriculum, but I was surprised when things didn't take off right away for me. I had to locate those who required my assistance. It's all about timing, I've discovered. It all boils down to being in the right spot at the right moment. I rapidly realized the value of networking and the need of devoting time and effort to consistently seek out various funding sources such as grants.

What inspired you to break into your industry?
This is a largely male-dominated field. It is primarily Caucasian and Indian men who are involved. As a woman who assists small community-based enterprises and women entrepreneurs, I wanted to break into this industry. Women, I believed, needed someone to whom they can relate.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you been able to find a balance?
What is a balance? It's difficult. I'm a perfectionist, which makes it easy for me to become overwhelmed. I compartmentalize and take things as they come. I devote 100 percent of my attention to my business, and when the time comes, I devote 100 percent of my attention to my personal life. There are peaks and valleys in life. When business slows down for me, I make an effort to do things for myself. I just took a much-needed break and went on a cross-country road trip with my best friend.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?
“Love what you do and do what you love.” I’ve used this quote for over 20 years, and it encompasses me. I genuinely love what I do.

Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?
There are so many to choose from. At Governors State University, Ned Laff, Director of Center of the Junior Year (CJY) at the college, was influential in pushing me to go all out with no holds barred regarding starting my own business. At the time, I was in charge of designing the CJY program Website and wasn’t serious about creating my own company at the moment but Ned saw something more in me. He was a great resource to help me start this journey. Shelby Parchman, on the other hand, is a different story. Shelby pushed me to think beyond working with small and midsize businesses and broaden my reach by establishing my business as a Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise. By securing this certification, it opened doors to contracts with colleges and universities, large corporations, and government agencies at all levels. To prepare for the next level, I needed to know where I stood financially, what my objectives were, and how I was going to achieve them. I knew I wanted to work as a web developer, but I didn't realize how much work that entailed running a business. I’m committed to continuing to learn new things as I grow my business.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?
Networking, marketing, and promotion are three things that I absolutely must-have. In my business, email and social media are both essential. I'm relieved that face-to-face meetings and a sense of normalcy are returning to conducting business. It's simpler to converse and interact with people when you're in a casual situation. In addition, I need to stay current with technology and trends.

What is your definition of a BOSS?
A BOSS, in my opinion, succeeds at whatever they set out to do. It doesn't matter if you're a parent managing your household on a daily basis or the CEO of a firm handling day-to-day operations. That person excels at anything they do.

Provide us with two words that describe you?
Media Maven or Media BOSS

Learn more about Lenora at www.mmgwebsites.com Instagram: @mmgwebsites

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network