BOSS Spotlight Feature: Janita Gilliam

 

Janita Gilliam is a Speech-Language Pathologist, Child Advocate, Researcher, and Entrepreneur. She’s the founder and owner of Jabber Talk Speech and Consulting, PLLC, where she provides speech and feeding therapy services to children ages birth-21 along with professional development and consulting services to early childhood educators.

What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? When I first started my business I had no clue where to begin and found myself looking to google for all the answers. I had resigned from my full-time job with no plan and was self-funding my business which was moving at a very slow pace. I had a dream and limited funds but was determined to help provide for my family and not fail.

What inspired you to break into your industry?  I always knew when I grew up that I wanted to become a doctor and have a career where I could help people. In high school, I took a career aptitude test that provided me with the top 10 careers best suited for me. Psychology and Speech Pathology were the top two careers that were listed on my test. I had an opportunity to research a field I had never heard of. I met the speech therapist at my school that provided me with some background. After learning more about the field and how I could help people, I was sold, and I’ve never looked back.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you been able to find a balance? Prior to the pandemic, I had a very difficult time balancing my career and being a wife and new mom. Honestly, I have to thank my therapist over the last two years who has taught me how to work on self-care, time management, and work-life balance. I am very big these days on time blocks, to-do lists, and giving myself the grace to do something for me.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? “To whom much is given, much is required.”

Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? When I first started my business I was matched with a mentor, Shari Robertson who was so instrumental in helping me to get my business off the ground. I had ideas and she was able to meet me with sound wisdom and advice. She didn’t judge me and met with me bi-weekly to hold me accountable for my goals and action plan. She went the extra mile and provided me with the resources and encouragement I needed.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? Processes and calendars. I believe every successful business must have processes in place and an organizational system to help maintain order and structure from a business standpoint. There are many moving parts to a business, and this is one thing that helps my business stay on task.

What is your definition of a BOSS? A “BOSS” is a person that leads from the front, leads by example, and is always present. One that is never afraid to challenge themselves to grow, but is also self-reflective to make adjustments, accept constructive criticism, and can reach back to ensure they are helping to mentor and encourage the generation behind them.

Provide us with two words that describe you? Communication Expert

Learn more about Janita at www.jabbertalkspeech.com IG: jabber_talk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network