BOSS Spotlight Feature: Kendra Payne

Kendra Payne is the Founder of The Herbal Scoop, and herbal farm and botanical tea shop located in the Catskills region of NY. She specializes in creating unique health focused herbal tea blends for you to enjoy! Her goal is to get everyone to Eat More Plants and Drink More Leaves.


What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? The biggest obstacle I faced was funding. I don’t come from generational wealth and I started my business from my savings account. This has forced me to move slower than those with funding, but has also allowed me to grow with more focus and intention.

What inspired you to break into your industry? I have worked in the wellness industry for 12+ years and have held lots of different titles in the industry. I began teaching yoga full time in 2012. At this time, my clients would see me with all of my different herbs and herbal teas and would always ask me what they were used for. I slowly became the go-to “medicine” person. People would often ask me for advice on how to boost their immunity or balance their stress using herbs. Those questions became more and more frequent and that sparked the idea to start working as an herbalist. Eventually in 2020, I opened up a shop and started working full time with The Herbal Scoop.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you been able to find a balance? I farm from home which allows me to spend time with my puppy and my husband. The days I am at the shop are actually the days I am most social. I live in a small town, so its the community’s opportunity to shop and to catch up on what’s been going on this week. Often after I close the shop, I will hang out with friends before heading home. In the heart of farming season finding balance becomes a bit hard, but it all balances out in the end.

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? 
Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? I am inspired by my Aunt Bootsie who passed away a few years ago. She always said that she would do what she loved or have fun once she retired. Unfortunately, she only live a few short months after she retired and never got to experience that life that she longed for. I purposefully create a life that I love now. I’m not waiting for a specific milestone to love my life.

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? My must haves are, snuggles with my puppy, coffee, quiet time, and lots and lots of lists.

What is your definition of a BOSS? My definition of a BOSS is someone who lives by their own rules and strives to create a life that they love. They consistently show up for themselves, their business, and their community.


Provide us with two words that describe you. Herbal Farmer

 

Learn more about Kendra at www.theherbalscoop.com


Instagram @the.herbal.scoop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network