BOSS Member Spotlight: Yvette Howard

Yvette Howard is a mom, doctorate candidate, clinical supervisor, owner of a multi-six-figure group therapy practice, Brighter Tomorrow Therapy, and an expert in business coaching for mental health therapists. With 8 years in mental health and 2 years as a coach, her passion is to be an inspiration to therapists who are afraid to take the leap and be their own Boss.


What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career? I faced numerous obstacles during the beginning phases of establishing my business. I grew up in a household that stressed the importance of academic success and traditional work to achieve financial stability. I worked hard to ensure I accomplished what was instilled in me. I graduated with my master's in social work, completed my internship as a clinical social worker, and began my career as a medical social worker. I enjoyed my career as a medical social worker, but I knew I needed more. I was just too afraid to take the leap, and one reason was that I did not know much about owning a business. 

One of my main challenges was dealing with my insecurities and uncertainty about myself. I was concerned about my ability to succeed as a business owner and take on leadership positions. My lack of understanding of even the basics of owning a business brought so much fear and doubt about my capabilities. 

I recall a time when I was in the process of gaining my clinical hours. I worked hard and did not get the revenue I deserved. I remember telling myself that one day, I would be like my supervisor, who owned the group practice I worked for. She made the process of owning a practice appear to be easy. But I did not see all of the behind-the-scenes she was faced with. I just knew she was someone I wanted to be like once I felt comfortable enough to do so.

What inspired you to break into your industry? After becoming fully licensed in 2018, I asked my supervisor for a raise. She told me the most she could do was give me a 5% raise. I was grateful but knew my worth was much more than that. A few months later, I took the leap and started developing my private practice as a therapist. I love that I can help a specific group of people, have control over my schedule, and enjoy the benefits of my hard work instead of being limited by the structure of corporate work or working for someone else.

When the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 happened, it brought on so much need for mental health therapists. The incoming calls became overwhelming, so I knew I needed additional help. Yet, my fears got the best of me, so I held off on hiring someone. It was the following year that I decided I could use more help. My friend, who was completing her hours to gain licensure as a therapist, wanted a change and asked to join me. I was hesitant but offered her a position to work with me. And she accepted. I was nervous, but I knew I had grown so much as a solo therapist that I could handle managing someone I knew was a great connection. After hiring her, I continued to hire and now have a whole group practice of 6 clinicians, 2 administrative assistants, and a biller. 

My goal is to help other therapists understand and overcome the challenges of starting and growing their private practices. I am dedicated to making therapists entrepreneurs and making the process more precise and powerful so individuals can reach their career goals. That is why I created my newest business, Boss Clinician. I created a course that lays out the foundation of starting and scaling a profitable private practice for therapists who want to start their own practice but don’t know where to start. With this course, I aim to simplify the practice development process, allowing therapists to focus on their client's needs while building their desired lifestyle.

How do you balance your personal and professional life, or have you found a balance? Ensuring a harmonious balance between my personal and professional obligations is essential to my values. I am a true believer that self-care is a priority in my life. I firmly believe that if I am not personally fulfilled, my capacity to contribute significantly to others is limited.

To protect my physical and mental health, I prioritize regular exercise, schedule frequent appointments with my primary doctors, and gain the assistance of a therapist or coach when necessary. These things are on my to-do list as they help keep me whole and fulfilled. 

I also value my family time. I go to Sunday dinners, take my son on outings, and take advantage of traveling and learning new things in other states or countries. Being with my family is vital, motivating me to continue and reach for more. 

What is an inspirational quote that you live by? "IN THE END… We only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make."

Lewis Carroll

Who were influential people or mentors who helped or encouraged you? When I look back on important events in my journey to becoming an entrepreneur, I am grateful for the support and encouragement of significant individuals who played crucial roles in determining my direction.

A few months before taking the leap into private practice, I attended a women's empowerment event in Las Vegas with my good friend Ciara Owens. Although initially concerned about networking and going beyond my comfort zone, Ciara's constant support motivated me to embrace the chance fully. I met various female entrepreneurs and leaders who shared their stories of overcoming challenges and their perspectives on the benefits of owning a business. I was so inspired by their accomplishments that I told myself I wanted to do the same. I wanted to have the ability to make my own decisions and build a business that related to my values. I want to credit my friend Ciara for encouraging me to leave my comfort zone and start my private practice.  

I also have so much support from my family and friends, who support me in many other ways. They are open to my ideas, send over referrals, and cheer me on to keep going. Their consistent confidence in my abilities and unapologetic encouragement have been a big part of my resilience and determination, even when I have challenges. 

What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business strong? There are many "must-haves" that are very important so that my profession and business remain strong and thriving over the long term.

I place the utmost importance on creating and maintaining an extensive business plan. I follow an organized planning framework that acts as a road map for my business because I understand the need for strategic planning and flexible thinking. This allows me to overcome obstacles with clarity and purpose and lays the groundwork for change and growth as the market continues to change.  

Maintaining a healthy balance between my personal and professional goals is equally important to my success. The foundation of this balance is a firm commitment to self-care, which includes both mental and physical health—first. By making the time and effort to care for my overall health, I ensure I have the energy and resilience required to succeed in my professional endeavors. 

Also, my professional and social networks have had a significant impact on my career. Being surrounded by optimistic, positive, and supportive people is a great way to improve personally and professionally. I can utilize collective expertise and viewpoints through significant relationships and collaborative partnerships, creating an atmosphere that encourages creativity and mutual empowerment.

What is your definition of a BOSS? In my opinion, a boss represents leadership because of their diverse methods of motivating and directing others toward group achievement. Developing an inspiring vision, strategic goals, and plans for long-term growth and advancement is essential to this position. A boss is someone who demonstrates empowerment and mentoring, using their knowledge and experience to develop the potential individuals they manage.

As I think more, a true boss is dedicated to lifelong learning and self-improvement, understanding that professional and personal growth are necessary for effective leadership. A boss who keeps an open mind to new perspectives, ideas, and experiences develops their skills and the creativity and adaptability of their team or business.

A boss represents an important approach to leadership, with a vision, mentorship, and a relentless desire for greatness beyond conventional authority and hierarchy. They encourage people to aim for greatness through their actions and influence, which promotes success and collective achievement.

Provide us with two words that describe you. Boss Clinician


Learn more about Yvette:


www.brightertomorrowtherapy.com Group Therapy Practice

www.bossclinician.com (under construction but will be live soon) www.instagram.com/profitwithyvette  Instagram page

www.facebook.com/yvette.hwd Facebook page


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network