Remembering that Delay is not Denial by Briantria Smocks
Briantria Smocks is a devoted researcher, visionary strategist, producer, and gifted educator. She is Editor-in-Chief of Levi&Toonk and CEO of Smocks Media Group (SMG). Also a member of Delta Sigma Theta, Bri enjoys lounging with her family, reading a juicy book, and getting lost in music.
As a woman who wears mini hats, I am about three weeks removed from ending my first crowdfunding effort. Since March, my team and I have been working on raising funds to produce an animated series, named after the literacy enrichment company I own with my mom.
We had put together a solid plan with our core group of supporters and had lined up multiple funders to give. We had even come up with creative marketing strategies to highlight the muse of our work, my precocious 8-year-old son Levi. And even after coming into contact with at least 50,000 people/direct emails during the entire campaign window, we were unable to reach our goal of $30,000. And the platform we used required us to raise at least 80% of that amount in order to receive any of the donated funds. Unfortunately, we were just shy of about 30% of that goal.
I share all this to relay that I know what it's like to put serious effort into a project, task, or idea where there seems to be all the pieces and it still does not come to pass…yet!
Given my business wins and early struggles, I've come to know with certainty just how this goes. I now don't expect all of my visions to play out in the way that I think they should. What I've been most blessed and surprised by is just how many of my concepts come to fruition easily and without hassle or tension. So here are the four lessons I've garnered after experiencing many moments like my recent “successful” crowdfunding run.
1.Determining one's own measure of success is beneficial and a confidence boost.
I've realized that learning from others is essential and staying in my lane is also critical. That my race is my race, and that I'm only competing with myself. I am truly 1 of 1. Which means that there may be options I must take that others before me did not. There may be other opportunities awaiting me from a “setback” which actually becomes the very stepping stool that I needed all along. I then end up with the next lesson.
2. Everything is about perspective.
The lens by which we view our story and our circumstances has a tremendous impact on how we move forward with resilience. The way I speak about my work and the energy by which I even share updates to my team are imperative pieces of the puzzle to consider, especially in economic seasons of uncertainty for the general population. For example, instead of assuming that people would not be in a position to give, I acknowledged the state of things while also being clear about my requests. What supported me in providing such clarity was the next lesson.
3. Understand the value of what you're producing/selling.
3. Understand the value of what you're producing/selling.
In order for people to take me seriously, I first needed to do the same. I realized that I could not haphazardly come up with a plan of action and that it would instead require the collaboration of many parties. I had to also learn not to make up stories of what I thought was going on around me; I had to actually review and understand the nuances of what made my work so special. Such a way of operating left me no choice but to lean on the final lesson.
4. Count every moment.
Having an attitude of gratitude has saved me and my team from the pitfalls of frustration and pity. It has illuminated our vision and enlightened our path forward. It has brought us out of despair and into possibility, especially when we were in the final moments of the campaign closing and were allotted additional time to account for a new process to take place (us adding a fiscal sponsor towards the end). The journey went from feeling like a battle keeping us bound and blocked to us welcoming a wealth of wonder and wisdom. Through it all, we bonded as a team, encouraged one another, accepted the areas that needed improvement, and remained excited about what would come after our First Attempt In Learning.
So for anyone currently in this space of creating and putting work out there for others to get involved with or put their money behind, I implore you to consider the lessons I've shared. Fit them to your specific quests. May you be reminded of all those in the history of greats whose journey is a reflection of getting back up time and time again.
Cheers to the delays that will have us arrive right on time!
In perfect and due season,
So for anyone currently in this space of creating and putting work out there for others to get involved with or put their money behind, I implore you to consider the lessons I've shared. Fit them to your specific quests. May you be reminded of all those in the history of greats whose journey is a reflection of getting back up time and time again.
Cheers to the delays that will have us arrive right on time!
In perfect and due season,
Briantria Smocks, M.Ed.
Editor-in-Chief, Levi&Toonk
Chief Executive Officer, Smocks Media Group
Instagram: @brismocks

.webp)
Comments
Post a Comment