Daydream on Purpose by Dorothy Enriquez


I bumped into two people before I could withdraw a number from the red dispenser.  The number 16 was displayed on the overhead screen; I pulled 27. Sending packages was a popular pass time for which I never received the memo. Music wasn’t an option. I forgot my headphones. I couldn’t read a magazine; I didn’t pack one in my go-go gadget hand bag. Surfing the inter-web was out of the question due to lack of reception. What was a girl to do? Daydream of course. 


I dreamt of the future: I was dressed to conquer the world in cadet blue slacks, a white and blue pin-striped-long-sleeved blouse and metallic-silver-four-inch heels. Large windows traced the entire perimeter of the building. Large gray/blue tiles made the floor appear endless. There wasn’t a cubicle or piece of furniture in sight. Six groups of people stood before me awaiting instructions in the airy and naturally lit office space. Two groups were from my company and the other four were unfamiliar. I lifted both hands to get everyone’s attention; all eyes were on me. Then…number 27 screeched over the intercom, back to reality.
***

Do you ever find yourself daydreaming: at the office, at home, waiting in line or when someone is complaining? Did you know it’s healthy to daydream? So if you’re reading this at work, there’s no need to feel guilty. Inc.com states daydreaming with your eyes open can hold the key to realizing the seemingly unachievable. The mind actually has a hard time distinguishing things you are doing now from actions you anticipate and memories of the past. That’s why visualization is so powerful.


I’ve been told to get my head out of the clouds, but I vehemently disagree. The clouds are where the best dreams reside and my head loves it there! Alicia Keys sang it best:

Oh, she got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Oh, she got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down


                An active imagination coupled with a tenacious mindset is the key to making the ‘what if’ become the ‘what is’. I dream DOT Magazine will become a national publication DOT-Nistas can find on newsstands at their local bookstore or shopping center. My mega dream: my company and journey will inspire those around me to dream BIG! You have big dreams too, otherwise you wouldn’t have read this far. The question is how do we dream on purpose?


3 Tips to Help You Daydream on Purpose:

1. Vision Board Mini To-Go. Create a vision board that can fit in a 5 x 7 picture frame. (Cut up old magazines, use construction paper or whatever is handy to make your dreams and goals come to life.) Now your dream is portable. If possible, take the vision board EVERYWHERE: the office, gal pal sleepovers and business trips. As a backup, take a picture of the vision board and use it as a screen saver on your laptop and cell phone.

2. Daydreamin’ in HD. Use your imagination to construct an Oscar/Golden Globe nominated film in your mind. I’m talking 3-D: What is the setting? Who are the people involved? What is happening? What are you doing? How do you feel? And remember: you’re the leading lady. Replay this smash hit over and over again.

3. Greatest Novel Ever Written. Document your destiny in detail. Write in a journal, on a sheet of paper or even using the EverNote App on your phone or tablet. There’s no need to show it to anyone; it’s your road map to achieving what others might think is impossible. Note to self: Never let others define you based on their limitations.

BOSS ladies, we have to dream in HD. Technicolor is so passé. It’s 2013 and this is our year! We need a vision of what our lives could be like. Let’s nix the ‘best-case scenario’ and go for ‘sky is the limit’. Dreammanifesto.com says a vision is a picture or idea we have in our minds of ourselves, our life & style + our business or anything that is going to happen. A clear vision helps us pursue dreams and achieve goals; an idea of the future. This clarity opens our minds to endless possibilities. 
Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


To learn more about Dorothy Enriquez, Publisher and Editor In Chief Dot Magazine,  follow this BOSS on Twiiter  @dot_magazine or visit dotmagazineonline.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC