BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Parent Enthusiast" LaToyia Dennis

LaToyiaDennis, A wife, mother, and Founder of A Chance to Learn and a Principal Fundraising Consultant, LaToyia is a dynamic, savvy, MBA-educated professional offering successful leadership in relationship management, advancing the non-profit sector, advocating early childhood learning, and promoting positive parenting public. 


TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

LaToyiaDennis:  My biggest obstacle when I started my business was not having an accountant. My first year without an accountant cost me thousand over several years in taxes.  

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry? 

TD:I love not-for-profit work, but when I became a mom I really began to understand how critical early childhood education was to infants and how it could position them for academic success.  As a mom, I wanted to help other parents understand the importance of early education and positive parenting.  My son was 2 years old when he gave me the idea to start A Chance to Learn.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?  

TD:How you find balance, I would say very intentionally.  Finding balance is very important to me 
especially as a mom.  In order to have balance in your personal and professional life, you have to 
identify and implement boundaries.  

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

TD: The live by a quote from the book God Chasers, “Passion Makes Complacency Uncomfortable.” When you are passionate about what you do, you will thrive.

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?  

TD: The most influential person in my life was my grandmother.  She believed in me more than I believed in myself.  She always encourage me to go to college and do something with my life.  I’ve had others along the way, a significant mentor was a former boss – Dr. Terry Flowers.  He was my first mentor in nonprofit, and encouraged me to obtain my MBA with a concentration in Not-for-Profit Management.

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? 

TD:My must have is passion. If you don’t have passion your business can become a JOB.  Dr. Flowers would always say, this is not a job this is ministry.  When you do what you love and have passion for what you do….it will never be a job.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

TD: My definition of a BOSS is someone that strives to fulfill personal goals while encouraging others to do the same.





Connect with Latoyia Dennis on Twitter @LatoyiaDennis
 and learn more about her products and services at www.achancetolearn.com 




Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network