The Power of Choice by Sylvia Duncan

I’ve heard it said that after waking up, the average person makes about 12 decisions before 9am. A study by Cornell University says that individuals make 70 + choices every day. We choose what to wear, we choose what to eat, we choose the route we’ll take to where we need to go. The key words here are “We Choose”, it’s our choice; our power if you will.

Yes, there is power in choice. And yet, we run the risk of becoming complacent when it comes to making choices. Most of our choices are done subconsciously. Sure, you may choose the route you’ll take to where you’re going, however, odds are you will drive that route without thinking about driving it because you probably know it like the back of your hands. So, you drive it without thinking about where to turn, or even when to stop. You made the choice to take a familiar route, therefore, you don’t have to put any effort into thinking about the actual act of driving.

Destiny is Determined by Choices


If we really understood, that our destiny is determined by what we do, we will be more focused and intentional when making choices. Our choices direct the course of our lives, every choice we make designs the future we’ll live. That said, every choice could also potentially have infinite consequences, meaning, any choice you make could continue to make choices for you, long after you’ve forgotten you made the choice. Couple that, with the fact that the moments in your life, will never come again, that once a moment happens, it happens and then it’s gone, and you have reason enough to think through and be intentional about the act of choosing.

However, there are circumstances and situations that happen to us due to the choices of others, and although we had no say in the choice and have no control over the consequence, we do have control over its impact in our lives. For example, I grew up witnessing violence against my mother at the hand of my father. I loved both parents and had no control over the actions of my dad or the inaction of my mom because she made the tough choice to stay. But, what I do have control over is the impact of those circumstances in my life now. I’m intentional about the choices I make for several reasons, however, one of the most important reasons is not to repeat the cycle of abuse I witnessed. Knowing what I know now, I have total control over my own choices, and I choose to make choices that design a life of peace for me. Those choices determine who and what will be in my life as it relates to the peace I desire. I am unapologetically deliberate about my choice when it comes to my peace, as well as choices in every other aspect of my life.


Decide to Be Deliberate
To ensure your life is going in the direction you desire, decide to become more deliberate about the choices you make. Don’t let circumstances or situations decide for you. Your choice is your power, take the time to choose what’s best for you.

Here are three decisions you can make, to help you make choices. Decide to:

1. Take time to determine your state of mind before making a choice.      When you are in the wrong state of mind, you will make the wrong choice. If you experienced some form of adversity, ask yourself, “is what happened to me, affecting my choices?”

2. Always do the right thing – live with integrity. Honest people make good choices. 

3. Take risks. Our choices can also be an indication of our desire to change. If you stick to the familiar, you won’t make the choice towards change. And, in some cases, if you don’t change, you won’t grow.


Lastly, choose to wake every day, blessing your day. Because every day you wake up is a day you get to make choices.
Learn more at www.sylviaduncan.com

Connect with her on Facebook @Sylvia Duncan or @The Duncan Approach
Twitter: @LifeDetoxCoach
Periscope: @SylviaDuncan
IG:
lifedetoxcoach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network