BOSS Spotlight Meet The "Transition Coach" Althea McIntyre



Althea McIntyre, Owner of The Best Career For Me, is a leadership development and career transition expert who works with business owners, executives, and professionals. Since 2005 Althea has coached hundreds of individuals, helping them change careers, launch new businesses and increase their income doing meaningful work that they love.

The BOSS Network: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Althea McIntyre: I wasn’t clear of my innate gifts, strengths, unique value and what distinguished me from other executive coaches. Because of this I undercharging for my services and wasn’t getting paid what I was worth. Once I recognized that my coaching helped my clients achieve radical career goals and increase their incomes by 25k and 35k+, more quickly than they would on their own, I adjusted my pricing. I lacked a professional network of other business owners and entrepreneurs. My network were professionals working in corporate, since I spent 9 years working as a corporate CPA prior to launching my business in 2005. I knew very few people who had launched their own business. It wasn’t as easy to find as it is today with social media.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

AM: I’ve always wanted to do the work that God designed for me to do. I love helping people succeed and thrive. I was initially inspired to work in the field, early in my accounting career, when I took a volunteer training project in the consulting firm that I worked for. Without any guidance or support I developed an in-house training program for the firm’s consultants that I was heavily praised for. It was easy, fun and energizing work. At that moment I knew that it was possible to do fulfilling work and that God had gifted me in this area. However, it took me 9 years later, 5 other positions (within 3 other organizations), a masters degree in Organization Development and Leadership Development from Loyola University Chicago, and professional coaching training and certification from the Coaches Training Institute for me to make the radical career change.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

AM:I focus on the areas of my life that are most important to me and by making them a priority. For me that’s my Christian faith, my family, my health and well-being and relationships. It’s not always easy. I’ve learned to be easy on myself, ask for help, say no and to manage my and other people’s expectations. Overall, I just focus more on the quality of my life, versus focusing on having a balanced life.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

AM: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined.” – Thoreau.
 

BN: Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

AM: There are so many coaches, mentors, colleagues, team members, friends and family who have helped and encouraged me along the way. However, my family has been the most influential. I’m a first generation American of Jamaican heritage. I come from a long history of God-fearing, visionaries, trailblazers and leaders who refused to allow their current circumstances or situation to dictate their future. I come from a family who is hard-working, loving, humble, unstoppable and believe in having a positive impact on others. Whenever I reflect on the challenges and sacrifices of my family members moving from a Ipswich, Jamaica to Kingston, Jamaica and then to America, I’m reminded of the shoulders of which I stand.


BN: What are your “must-haves” to keep your career or business going strong?

AM:1. Know your unique strengths, value proposition and what distinguishes you from others in your field. Focus on them. 2. Know who your ideal clients and customers are.Provide the products and services that they are asking for. Serve them. 3. Surround yourself with other successful business owners and professionals within and outside of your field and industry. Learn from them 4. Hire people who are gifted and skilled in areas in which you are not. 5. Be open to new ideas and ways of doing things. Be flexible, agile and adaptable.6. Focus on what works best for you. Stick with it. Look at what brings you the most amount of money easily. Identify what best helps you attract and convert your ideal clients. 7. Be patient with yourself. Never, ever, ever give up.8. Never stop learning, taking risks, and getting outside of your comfort zone.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

AM:Someone who knows their value and worth. They are comfortable in their own skin. They do not compromise themselves. They are grateful and humble for the blessings that God has given them and do not take them for granted. They are committed to doing their best and being their best. They put their trust in God. They operate from a place of excellence and have a high-level of integrity. They confidently go after their dreams.



Connect with Althea McIntyre on Twitter and Instagram @AltheaMcIntyre and Learn more about products and services at www.thebestcareerforme.com
 
 
Make sure to become a member of The BOSS Network to be featured.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network